Lian Li Launches PC-A51 Case with Reverse Airflow Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
My biggest concerns with this airflow design is:1. Though it doesn't preclude the use of a AIO watercooler, it does raise questions about the ability to move enough air through the filtered 120mm fan at the rear of the case along with any rear-mounted radiator.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
This seems to me like a foolish design. I like the case don't get me wrong there, but this idea for reverse airflow seems kinda dumb.The first thing that comes to mind is why would you want the case venting hot air towards you? The second thing that comes to mind is the Video card. I have a AMD 7870 and a Nvidia GTX 770 video card and both blow some pretty hot air out of the back of my computer. What keeps that intake fan in the back from sucking up that hot air and blowing it back in to the case raising temps?

Since no case is airtight, I would just reverse the rear fan to exhaust, in addition to the top fan. Creating a vacuum-like environment will only draw more cool air in the case through the front vents, creating a relatively laminar flow. Their configuration begs for turbulence, which in turn means less effective air flow.

icycool_q1

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

This interface is seriously screwed.
I just signed up today, coz I couldn't find how to sign in normally (I made an account a year ago), so I went through gmail.
Then it posted twice.
Then I went to account settings to read the welcome mail.
Somehow, it decides to post again??? Anyway, I have deleted the dupe posts, and really expect a bit better out of Toms, given the traffic this site gets.
Incidentally, I know it has no reset button, because I downloaded the product manual from Lian-Li.

Agree with the screwed interface. The site comments section has been destroyed ever since they decided to change it a while ago. During the "feedback" period they only considered cosmetic suggestions, ignoring the more serious functional ones. This is the result.

icycool_q1

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Also, I prefer the old way of seeing all comments instead of having to click "show", perhaps it's better for mobile devices with the infinite scroll-through of recent articles, but it doesn't suit me.

G

meh another computer case just with the fans flipped over to pull from the back instead of the front.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Reverse airflow is perfect for sitting in my entertainment center. I don't understand the people saying this is foolish

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I don't get this reverse airflow "feature"; surely you can do that simply by installing fans in reverse? It's not like a dust-cover is a hard thing to install yourself, I have some pretty good perforated aluminium ones that cost about £1 each.It's great that they've taken community feedback, I just don't see what's really special about this case.

Kozzy72

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Go further Lian-Li...put intake fans on the bottom of the case. Lots of newer designs have the USB panel on top...why? With venting of heat out the top, where do the devices go? Some newer cases still have the bottom/front of the USB panel...best spot with the tower sitting on top of the desk. On the floor, or mounted lower, snatches up too much dust..a system killer. Lian-Li, give the customer an option...top mount USB or bottom/front mount. Last build was with Lian-Li and I sure would like to stay with you. Need help understanding the top-mount of this panel..Thanks.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
This is such a beautifully designed case, but they really screwed up the layout. With the PSU location, there is no hope of a dual-gpu setup, and don't even get me started on the convoluted airflow.

A simple design fix would have made this case much more effective. Placing the PSU top-front on it's side (ala Silverstone SG09/10), with intake in the front and exhaust out the left side would have provided much more flexibility for either more drives or more expansion. It would also mean the PSU cables are already in the perfectly designed cable-run. Everything else up front would be pushed down. So you'd have the front intake blowing direct into the GPU area, and you'd have room for dual GPUs. With a width of 230mm, there was definitely room to do this, and it would have been fantastic.

I would also like to see Lian-Li get more aggressive with the intake ventilation - it looks like a 160mm fan could easily fit on this one. On the bottom, they need more ventilation to allow cool are to the GPU(s).

Overall, Lian-Li focuses on aesthetics and market-leading build quality, with airflow and component layout innovation as an afterthought. It's a shame, because I am in the market for a low-height full-ATX box like this, but this one just won't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.