Lian Li PC-J60 Case Has Cable Clutter In Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this for sale on a site yesterday, the no window version, no distinction made between pre-order or not. I think this is one of the better cases Lian Li has created, brushed aluminum + aluminum all around (unless windowed), top designed to fit rads up to 60mm thick... This case is a thing of beauty. If it was big enough to fit eatx, it'd be near perfect. Even with no eatx capability, still a solid, quality crafted, near perfect case.

skippyboy92362

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I realty like the design of this case being a Lian Li person myself. I have owned 5 of them over the years. There is just one thing I see wrong with this one and it is not price. It has the same crappy fans my new PC V-33 came with, there absolutely junk sleeve bearing ones. But most people who buy there cases replace the fans anyhow. Other than that this case has all you would need for a high end build.

I don't think you understand Lian-Li. Their cases are premium and have high-grade components and make. They are made of high-grade aluminum and good materials all around

@skippyboy: A bottom-mounted fan can't be sleeve bearing.

Because of how sleeve bearing fans are designed. When they are horizontally mounted, the oil cannot make good contact with the rotor, which means they'll make a grinding sort of noise, vibrate a ton, and die pretty quickly.

Looks a lot like an NZXT H440, though the unpainted inside is reminiscent of a case circa 1995. I know there are fans of these cases out there because the quality is predictable, but most case manufacturers produce high-quality mid-range to high-end cases with more features at half the price. I just can't bring myself to hop on the Lian-Li bus.

Looks a lot like an NZXT H440, though the unpainted inside is reminiscent of a case circa 1995. I know there are fans of these cases out there because the quality is predictable, but most case manufacturers produce high-quality mid-range to high-end cases with more features at half the price. I just can't bring myself to hop on the Lian-Li bus.

I generally like NZXT, so plz dont get me wrong. Though, when it comes to using quality materials, like aluminum, or having among the best quality craftsmanship, NZXT, like nearly all of the rest of the case manufacturers, started cutting corners and abandoned using aluminum for STCC or plastic along with cheap acrylic, a few years ago.

Regardless of the 3 sleeve bearing fans that may come with the above case, regardless of the (non black) aluminum inside: those still able to recognize real case quality will still see the PC J-60 as a bargain. As one of the only cases still on the market made with quality materials, craftsmanship, and an overall excellent water cooling potential.

Friends, fwiw, cases and other hardware shouldn't be about RGB lighting, acrylic windows that cater to our vanity, unnecessary bells and whistles that add nothing to functionality, but nonetheless have largely succeeded in replacing what once was genuine quality with these gimmicks, and usually at a premium price, at that...

Lian Li at least is still creating some new designs/products that have ignored this gaudy, disappointing trend, and instead lean toward simplicity, elegance, genuine quality in materials and craftsmanship. I can't help but be thankful that cases like the pc-j60 are still being produced at this time. I only wish this was on the market at the time I chose my current case lol.

I'm saying I've worked with crappy cases and I've worked with quality cases and over the years, and within the last five years, I've found for the most part if you spend $60+ on a case manufactured by a reputable company, the case is decent quality with decent included hardware. You add your components and modify the PC as necessary without issue. When the connectors on the front panel become outdated for your updated build, you look into getting a new one.

When you get a good case, you can easily screw in the standoffs and mount your motherboard with screws that don't lock or strip. Quality used to be an argument but now so many case manufacturers have an efficient production process with a good quality outcome. Whether or not something seems to be a shortcut, many case manufacturers have a good thing going.

My argument is there are so many good-quality choices out there now from companies that have already innovated and incorporated the many features that Lian-Li cases are just now adding (e.g. the novel view window).

If you like Lian-Li cases, and you know what to expect from them and don't want to take a chance on other options out there, I say go for it. I just think most people are beyond paying $200+ for what appears to be a case many manufacturers have been building for the last five years. Other manufacturers are using aluminum and steel with plastic only to compliment the outside look or for front panel covers.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
@ Ubercake

"My argument is there are so many good-quality choices out there now from companies that have already innovated and incorporated the many features that Lian-Li cases are just now adding (e.g. the novel view window)."

My original Lian-Li case that my wife bought for me Christmas of 02, yes 2002 has a side window. It was the first case I ever saw with a side window. I still use that case for my main gaming rig. Yes, that's 14 years on the same case. Why? Because no other case I have come across in the past 14 years is anywhere near as good as it is. Fantastic construction, beautiful looks, so easy to work on / with. I've modded it over the years. Opening up the Top, and Bottom to install some radiators. I started my watercooling / modding journey with Lian-Li, and I'll continue to use them in my personal builds, and customs I build for my customers for years to come.

Understandable. On my main PC, I had an Antec full tower case from just about the same time period with a window. I wish I could remember the model, but I thought I'd keep that thing forever myself.

I eventually got tired of the obsolete front panel connections on the Antec and went shopping for a new one around 2008. Around that time, many case manufacturers were just starting to add cutouts in the tray behind the motherboard for ease of changing CPU cooling solutions. Today, many cases from the more reputable manufacturers even built for microATX form factors are 100x easier to work in than any 15 years ago due to design. Case design has really come along way and is not limited to any one manufacturer. I've found that NZXT and Corsair really push the envelope when it comes to introducing new features. Also, a recent build had me using a microATX case (AeroCool DS Cube) that was super easy to work with and had no build quality issues. Just about any mid-range to high-end cases' frames are built with either steel or aluminum with side panels that are aluminum and top and sides with plastic coverings over steel or aluminum. Also, it's nice to have the newly-fangled hot-swappable SATA ports on top of case or USB 3.0 ports when you need them.

If you have a case you like and you want to stick with it, that's great, but there are so many good-quality cases out there right now. It's a very competitive PC case market right now and I like taking advantage of this as a consumer.

Antonio1941

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2015
No optical drive support (I dont use 'em aniway), but I do use front bay fan controllers, and I don't want pc case without front bay's

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have an old Lian Li with a dead pc in it in garage that I refuse to throw away as their cases are so nice. One day I may reuse it... though its over 12 years old now so I might just have to let go. They make nice cases.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

LOL I know the one you're talking about! I can't remember model either, but that was a nice case too!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think the bottom fan pushes air down into the drive cage? Otherwise, it seems like it'd be fighting the PSU's own exhaust fan.

In either case, 140 mm sounds like overkill, since the PSU has its own intake vent and even 4 mechanical drives don't produce much heat (especially compared to what top-mounted PSUs have to deal with).

I assume the top-mounted air filter is removed, when you add a radiator (as filters are usually on intakes - not exhaust vents)? Or is it there to keep dust out of the radiator, itself?

I love positive pressure cases + dust filters.

Tebar

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
"Glad this doesn't have a black interior or I wouldn't be able to resist wasting $200 on a case."

Actually both windowed versions have all-black interiors

Also a big fan of positive pressure here :). I'm assuming your assessment of the 140 is correct, its most likely LL's exhaust for the case, as one wasn't included on the back. However, that doesn't mean it has to be used that way. Odd as it may seem, after seeing that demo by Silverstone, proving exhaust fans actually hinder circulation more than help it, I started doing the same, with satisfactory results. All fans on my tj04b-e are positive pressure, I removed the exhaust fan (would've been a tight fit with the d15s anyhow). If one was to use shrouds, though, I believe it may be a different story, but anyway...

The J60 would be an excellent case to mod, and the first place I'd start is with that 140. Even without modding, it could still be an excellent positive pressure case. I'd get rid of at least some or all the proprietary fans and replace them with premium fans, and that 140 would be used to add to the positive pressure of the case. I'm not big on HDD's, I figure one is more than enough. The heat from 1 average use HDD is negligible, up one HDD + SSD, or two SSD can be mounted on the back of the mobo tray, anything more could then be used in the bottom chamber. The way LL designs their PSU mounting is quirky; the mounting rails don't make a snug fit between the psu and the psu case intake grill. It'd draw more air into the bottom chamber, and the 140 would ideally add more cool air to the case.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, why is that? Maybe to reduce vibration?

I've wondered why they use those rails on some cases, the strips on them are surely for good anti vibration, though can be had without them? Though seeing Lian Li's vid here at 2:12 (https://youtu.be/GegKrxYYZ9g?t=132) the extra space the rails provide is indirectly referenced, the 140 used as an exhaust is indeed confirmed, as the presenter says heat from the removable drive cages is exhausted out the back of the case via the psu. But without heat to warrant it, a premium 140 placed instead to add to main chamber positive pressure seems ideal.

Tebar

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
"Glad this doesn't have a black interior or I wouldn't be able to resist wasting $200 on a case." Actually, both windowed versions have all-black interiors.

Status
Not open for further replies.