Lian Li's Dual-Chamber PC-O11 Case, Available At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtman88

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Seems like no one uses 5.25 bays anymore lol, I need one for my luquid cooling reservoir. Worst cast i just buy another reservoir tube like one for in side the case.

Xenocrates

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Burtman, I would disagree. I currently have 3/4 5.25 inch bays populated in my desktop, regularly populate an optical drive in other computers such as HTPC's, and even make use of 3.5 external bays, both for hotswap and even sometimes for FDD's. (Yes, floppies. Robotics and industrial systems still use them because they are much more resilient to contamination than an optical disk, other than perhaps DVD-RAM, which never caught on).

Mind you, If I were building a new computer, I would probably skip "Gaming" or "performance" cases entirely. Server chassis, or workstation, although with access to sheet metal fabrication equipment, I might be tempted to make my own. I have no illusions that I'm a typical consumer, but I'll miss the 5.25" slots. Fortunately, most manufacturers have a large backlog with them still present.

It was a bit rhetorical and I realize how their choices impacts the thermals, air pressure and possibly sound if you use the 80mm fans. They just compromised hard on this version of the case. The PC-O8 is very similar without out all the compromises. I'm not a huge fan of compromising function for "pretty", especially when you can have both in a PC.

So I have been thinking about doing a new computer build for a bit over a year. This lack of 5.25 slots is something I was wondering how much I would miss it. I have been keeping track of my dvd usage to see if I need a dvd/blue ray built in. At this point I use a dvd drive only a 1 to 2 times a year. I expected it to be a bit more often but nope. So an external drive will come with the next PC I build.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

I hear ya there. The only reason I still have my 5.25" external drive is because it's a Bluray burner. If I could find a good external one, I'd happily switch.
At work, our "important" workstations still have floppies, because some of the software we use are on 5.25" floppy disks. I installed some software with it just the other day. Man, I kind of miss the sounds of floppies reading and seeking. ;)

Yeah I love that Im doing something very important sound it made.
You may like this floppy disk music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx_vWkv50uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-X-p0C0Uas

Status
Not open for further replies.