Question Lid detection on old Toshiba Laptop

Feb 14, 2022
Hello, I've an old Toshiba Satellite L305D laptop that is not detecting whether the lid is open.

I'm running arch linux on it, and it basically constantly says that the lid is closed, regardless of the actual state of the lid

Code:
$ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
state:      closed

This is very annoying as the computer keeps shutting down halfway through boot. On kernel startup I can tell it to ignore ACPI but that's hardly ideal because the fans just go crazy. With ACPI turned on, I usually have to wake the computer like 4-5 times during boot.

After reading about it a lot online I was not sure whether the detection was done through the hinges or magnets. So I actually disassembled the whole carcass of the PC and see nothing on the hinges, while on the monitor frame there's a magnet.

If I bring that magnet close to the Mobo (where it would be with the lid closed) the screen actually darkens.

So, I'm not sure what's going on.

1. If the PC considers the lid to already be closed, why does it darken when I bring a magnet close
  2. Could there be some detection on the hinge I'm missing out? I'm pretty sure I'm looking at it bare bones. I still think it's just the magnet, but the screen darkening makes no sense to me.

Any ideas on how to fix this just so that it recognizes it properly?
Thank you

Feb 14, 2022
I mitigated this by disabling sleep and hibernate on systemd, but it is still broken, regardless. If anyone has clues, I'd appreciate it.

Now the system considers the lid to be permanently open.
Code:
$ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
state:      open