Life Expectancy of a stable overclock

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello, I'm new to Tom's Hardware, if this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry. Anyways, I have a GT 730 with 2GB GDDR3 on a 64 bit from EVGA, it's quite fairly new, a couple of days old. I have set both core and memory clocks 220mhz above the normal clock, and so far the voltage usage is stable at 1.0600, 63c hot. All of that at full load.

I have been wondering for a very long time now...

Even with the most stable overclocks, does it still shorten the lifespan of the GPU?

Solution
There's a common misconception that overclocking degrades the lifespan of components. Overclocking doesn't do that, but the related and unmanaged increase in heat does. In other words, if the component is kept cool, it will last just as long as one that hadn't been overclocked.

The GT 730 has a maximum temperature of 98 C, so you've nothing to worry about.
There's a common misconception that overclocking degrades the lifespan of components. Overclocking doesn't do that, but the related and unmanaged increase in heat does. In other words, if the component is kept cool, it will last just as long as one that hadn't been overclocked.

The GT 730 has a maximum temperature of 98 C, so you've nothing to worry about.

Solution

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016

But how about the voltage? I can't control the voltage, it's all controlled by the GPU itself, would it be smart enough to know its limits of safe voltages?