Light and puff sound in a new psu

k7exotic

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Hello everyone,
I am very upset cause today i bought all the parts of my new pc but something is going very wrong with my psu.I connected all the parts ,I put the power cable on the psu but the pc just dont work when i push the power button.Then i try to push the psu cable a little bit harder because i thought that maybe it dont fit well in its hole.And then the disaster....instantly i see a light inside the psu,I hear a "puff" sound and then some smoke came out.I pulled out the cable and now I dont know what to do.I assume that my psu got burned for some reason,and i worry that maybe any other component got burned too.Any suggestion?May I try to plug it and try again or not at all??The psu is a seasonic s12ii-620.It would be nice to have a quick reply.

Solution
If the PSU is new you should be able to RMA it and get a replacement. That's a good quality unit so you're extremely unlucky, but no manufacturers are complete immune from bad products. The good news is that with a better unit like the one you have, the chance that it's destroyed other components in the computer when it self-destructed is much, much lower than it would be with a cheap unit.

Return the PSU. And when you get a replacement, just make absolutely sure (triple check) that all the cables are connected properly before turning anything on.
If the PSU is new you should be able to RMA it and get a replacement. That's a good quality unit so you're extremely unlucky, but no manufacturers are complete immune from bad products. The good news is that with a better unit like the one you have, the chance that it's destroyed other components in the computer when it self-destructed is much, much lower than it would be with a cheap unit.

Return the PSU. And when you get a replacement, just make absolutely sure (triple check) that all the cables are connected properly before turning anything on.

Solution

k7exotic

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
If any other component got damaged from the psu,can I rma it too?I care because some parts (like the video card r9 280x) are quite expensive and it would be a disaster if its burned too.

Probably. You should be okay. There's always a chance of course that a faulty motherboard killed your PSU, unfortunately there's no easy way to check until you get a new PSU.

Replace the PSU and 90% chance you'll be fine. Assuming everything was plugged in right, you've been extremely unlucky there! Good advice all over the forums will tell you to get a Seasonic PSU to avoid exactly this situation. Super-unlucky!