[SOLVED] Lightning and Network Interface Device...Can lightning pass through a Network Interface Device without damaging it?

Jan 1, 2020
Can lightning pass through a Network Interface Device without damaging it? Century Link installed my DSL line without the system being grounded yet by my electrician, which their own rules say they are not to do. We had a bad storm and it caused damages of around $2,000 frying HDMI cables, routers, sound cards etc. Century Links installer, Wise Connect is claiming the lighting did not come through their line because the Network Interface Device (NID) had no signs of a lightning hit...they did not have to replace it. There's no other damage in the facility...only items connected to the Century Link line. Is it possible the lighting didn't come through their system?

Solution
I don't think so. That's a lot of energy. When I had a strike on my cable line. It went through my cable modem, then Ethernet. Frying the modem, router, switch and a few networked devices. Perhaps it went through a power outlet, then chained through some devices. I know it had to of chained through my Ethernet as it was only networked devices on various power outlets throughout the house. Leaving non network devices on the same outlets untouched.

Grounding doesn't protect everything either. My cable line was grounded at multiple points. Although it probably would have been much worse without grounding.
I don't think so. That's a lot of energy. When I had a strike on my cable line. It went through my cable modem, then Ethernet. Frying the modem, router, switch and a few networked devices. Perhaps it went through a power outlet, then chained through some devices. I know it had to of chained through my Ethernet as it was only networked devices on various power outlets throughout the house. Leaving non network devices on the same outlets untouched.

Grounding doesn't protect everything either. My cable line was grounded at multiple points. Although it probably would have been much worse without grounding.

Solution
Jan 1, 2020

Thank you!