Lightning SSDs Provide Crazy Fast Speeds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]can someone see what i see...to me it looks like the electrical boards are set up like a raid. interesting, very interesting.[/citation]

The 3 boards are indeed connected to each-other, but that doesn't necessarily mean a RAID setup. That would mean a SSD controller on each board plus one raid controller for all. That would be expensive.
My bet is that they use a new controller which communicates with the NAND chips on several channels, more of these than in an usual SSD.
Of course it sounds like RAID0, but it's not actually RAID.

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
sounds fishy, i'd for one would like to see a full review with pricing, ford could make a car that lasts 50 years but they'd have to sell it for 2,000,000.00

iocedmyself

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
this isn't really that impressive, the fusionio drive which has been around for 5 years still beats the crap out of this granted it's a PCI-E 8x drive, it's bootable and can be configured in raid set ups.

A single drive which is capable of 670mb/s write 750mb/s read moving 32k files

A raid config capable of doing 1400mb/s write 1500mb/s read moving 32k files

oh and it's also still holds the record for IO per second at over 1,000,000 on a single drive

then add in the fact that the access time for the thing is 50 MICRO seconds compared with the millaseconds that every other hard disk is rated at.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
These are "enterprise" SSDs. I'm guessing the 150GB model will be in the $20K to $30K range. They're gunning for STEC's current domination with the big-iron vendors, not trying to compete with Intel and OCZ and Samsung in the "enthusiast" market. They've got the performance numbers to beat STEC, so they just need to set their price just low enough to convince all of the big-iron vendors to switch from STEC to Pliant SSDs.

There's no question that these drives perform well under most server workloads, that's what they've been designed to do, but I would love to see someone actually benchmark one of these drives on a gaming and/or office system just for fun. They're almost certainly not worth the money in anything but a heavily loaded server, but it would be good to know where they would stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS