[SOLVED] Lightning strike while using my pc

Sep 8, 2020
Hi! i have a question, a while ago I was using my pc while there's thunder outside and I heard something flickered while i was focusing on my screen and it was coming from my left side where my router and outlet is located, this happened when the lightning pop up, as soon as I heard the sound my pc and router turned off and turned on again, the other appliances in the house was fine and didnt turned off, only my router and pc. I'm currently using an avr, as soon as the power went back on i quickly turned off the switch on my avr and I unplug the wires from the outlet especially the router. After the storm, I tried to turn my pc on if it was fine and it turns out that it still works like nothing happened but should I still be worried about it or my pc would be completely fine in the long run? just wanted to ask because I cant help myself to think that in a few days something might happen to my pc parts due to the lightning strike.

Solution
If it is all working, it is OK.

I recently had a nearby lightning strike.
The wall plug is NOT the only pathway of fail.

Things killed:
Ethernet port in the main PC
Ethernet port in a printer
2x HDMI ports in the Denon stereo
An UNPLUGGED 'invisible fence' circuit board

The PC and the printer were separated by 2x switches and a router.
PC was on one UPS, printer and stereo on a different UPS.
Hi! i have a question, a while ago I was using my pc while there's thunder outside and I heard something flickered while i was focusing on my screen and it was coming from my left side where my router and outlet is located, this happened when the lightning pop up, as soon as I heard the sound my pc and router turned off and turned on again, the other appliances in the house was fine and didnt turned off, only my router and pc. I'm currently using an avr, as soon as the power went back on i quickly turned off the switch on my avr and I unplug the wires from the outlet especially the router. After the storm, I tried to turn my pc on if it was fine and it turns out that it still works like nothing happened but should I still be worried about it or my pc would be completely fine in the long run? just wanted to ask because I cant help myself to think that in a few days something might happen to my pc parts due to the lightning strike.

Did you use a surge suppressor?

Chances are you are fine, but components on the primary side and secondary on power supplies do take a hit with voltage surges.

Sep 8, 2020
Did you use a surge suppressor?

Chances are you are fine, but components on the primary side and secondary on power supplies do take a hit with voltage surges.
i dont know what a surge suppressor is, is that something that looks like an extension cord? well if it is i'm only using a normal extension cord but thanks for the reply.

USAFRet

Titan

Things killed:

Solution
Sep 8, 2020

Things killed:

thanks, that's a bit of a relief.

Things killed:

Wow that must have been a close strike

USAFRet

Titan
Wow that must have been a close strike
Even scarier...

I have a laser level, battery powered. 9v battery.
It was OFF. I hadn't used it in a week or so.
A couple hours after that strike, I went upstairs.
What is that red glow?!?

Go in that room (I was putting the finishing touches on new flooring)...it was ON.
All I can think of is static through the air.

It literally has no plug in.
It was on a tripod, with rubber feet, on a laminate floor, which is on a foam underlayment, several feet from any wall and wiring.

Literally, no connection to any wire.

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
Even scarier...

I have a laser level, battery powered. 9v battery.
It was OFF. I hadn't used it in a week or so.
A couple hours after that strike, I went upstairs.
What is that red glow?!?

Go in that room (I was putting the finishing touches on new flooring)...it was ON.
All I can think of is static through the air.

It literally has no plug in.
It was on a tripod, with rubber feet, on a laminate floor, which is on a foam underlayment, several feet from any wall and wiring.

Literally, no connection to any wire.
That's an incredible story. Ever hear of the 1859 Carrington Event? Mother Nature can do some amazing things! I'm glad you're all right.

I've been concerned about lightning strikes enough to unplug and turn off game consoles, TVs, and computers when there's a thunder storm. Nothing's ever happened but you never know when a small something is enough to tip the balance. This thread has got me all reinvigorated about using a surge protector for my ethernet cable.

USAFRet

Titan
I've been concerned about lightning strikes enough to unplug and turn off game consoles, TVs, and computers when there's a thunder storm.
That's the thing...this was NOT a thunderstorm. Until it was.
Previous, it was just rain rain rain for a couple hours.
Then...BAM.

Every storm has a 'first strike' somewhere. This was that.
If I unplugged things every time it rained, it would be OFF all of the time.

Reactions: HerbertSherbet