[SOLVED] Lights turn on but nobody home

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHawk54

Reputable
Jul 9, 2020
I recently changed CPUs for i5-2500 LGA 1155 to an i7-3770 LGA 1155... this morning, in fact. Now, I get nothing. The lights and fan turn on but there is no CMOS/BIOS beep. I removed the CPU to make sure I did not bend any pins and all looked fine. I made sure the RAM cards were seated correctly, but again, nothing happened. Before I reinstate the old i5, I decided to ask for your help. Any other things I can try?

Last edited:

daviddunford

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
If I remember rightly (both chips are of course fairly elderly by now) they both use a socket 1155 but the third generation (Ivy Bridge) needed at least an upgraded BIOS to run in a 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) mobo. You should be able to download and flash the BIOS. If you are very unlucky, it might need a completely new mobo; you will have to look on the motherboard manufacturer's website. Do you know what chipset your mobo uses? (Your best chance of finding a 3rd generation mobo at a sensible price is probably second hand on eBay or similar.)

JHawk54

Reputable
Jul 9, 2020
1. The motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 and its manual says it has a "LGA 1155 socket for Intel 3rd/2nd generation Core i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron Processors".

2. I upgraded my BIOS just about a month ago.

3. The chipset is an Intel Z77 Express Chipset.

4. The RAM cards at 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz

All of these are in compliance with the motherboard manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.