Limited access wifi no valid IP configuration windows 8

RoyTagliaferro

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
I am using a Toshiba laptop with windows 8 and I'm connected to a public wifi with no password yet my connection is limited and I have no access and troubleshoot cause says ''wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration''

This started happening after my computer automatically started installing Windows updates on a reboot, however it said updates failed, reversing back. Ever since then I've had this problem.

I can't figure it out and I've been trying for 3 days now, I would greatly appreciate any and all help. On the matter.

Please save me :(

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Hello RoyTagliaferro. Can you try the following steps for me please:

1. Press "Windows + X" at the same time
2. Select “Command Prompt (Admin)”

3. Enter "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the speech marks) into Command Prompt followed by enter
4. Enter "ipconfig /registerdns" (without the speech marks) into Command Prompt followed by enter

5. Enter "ipconfig /release" (without the speech marks) into Command Prompt followed by enter
6. Enter "ipconfig /renew" (without the speech marks) into Command Prompt followed by enter

7. Enter "netsh winsock reset" (without the speech marks) into Command Prompt followed by enter
8. Enter "shutdown /s /t 5" (without the speech marks) into Command Prompt followed by enter

9. Your PC should now shutdown
10. Reboot your PC and try to connect again

RoyTagliaferro

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
@harryfishrules I followed the steps and the problem persists

When I wrote ipconfig /registerdns it said registration initiated and any errors will be reported in the event viewer in 15 minutes
Do o need to wait 15 mins?

I didn't in first try, and the following release and renew commands resulted in ''no operation can be performed on local area connection*11 while it has its media disconnected''

I've run the troubleshooter again and this time it only says ''the default gateway is not available''

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

The messages you've seen are normal and are nothing to worry about. Have you tried updating the device drivers for your wireless card?

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Okay, can you follow these steps please:

1. Press Start
2. Type "Device Manager"
3. Open "Network Adaptors"
4. Right click the first adaptor and choose "Update Driver Software"
5. Select "Search Automatically"
6. Wait for this to finish
7. Continue until you have gone through all the listed network adaptors

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Can you try these steps to ensure Bonjour is allowed to run corectly:

Start > Type 'Windows Firewall' > Allow a program or feature > remove Bonjour > Reboot your PC

If this option is bold, greyed out or not visible then you need to follow the same steps within your antivirus product instead.

RoyTagliaferro

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
I tried reformatting it (windows 8 PC reset)but it remained the same with the invalid ip issue when i troubleshoot. Does this mean it's the network?

My computer has windows defender and it's disabled when I clicked it it only says that it's turned off and doesn't open up, I have no anti virus installed as I uninstalled mcafee.

It may be the network, although it was working fine just days ago.... I'm really clueless

RoyTagliaferro

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
I haven't tried other networks yet, however my neighbor just returned and asked me to connect his I pad and the same issue with op occurred so I think it's sage to say it's the network... I will ask the manager if he can fix it, sorry to put you through all that trouble, will post if problem gets solved to confirm. Thanks for all the help

TRENDING THREADS