Limited ethernet (Windows 8.1)

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
So I built my new computer a month ago and have been using Ethernet (Wired internet) since then, and yesterday it started acting up saying my Ethernet was connected but two VMware connections were limited, and I can't go on any sites or play steam games, is there any known fix?

I'll get more info when I get home,
Thanks!

Seamz

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
You most likely need to either install a driver update. Or uninstall your current driver and install the latest one. This would be on the manufacturer's website for your motherboard. If it's a prebuilt system it will be on their website. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc...

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
It isn't a prebuilt, and my motherboard (Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5) hasn't had a driver update for months.
I've tried updating the drivers for both VMwares, there was no updates.

Seamz

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
You need to update the Network Adapter Drive on Windows 8.1 under Device Manager. NIC is Network Interface Controller, basically it is what controls that ethernet Jack on your motherboard. Think of your motherboard as city streets and each component is a car. The car can't go anywhere without a driver controlling the car. Usually drivers for the NIC are listed as SOMETHING Ethernet Adapter.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4953#dl

Here's the link to your motherboard's driver page for Windows 8.1 64-bit. Download the BigFoot LAN Driver and unzip the files and run the installer inside the extracted folder.

Seamz

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

Did you delete the driver that's currently on there? And can you post a screenshot of your Device manager with the Network Adapter tree open?

Seamz

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
So it's definitely the LAN driver that's missing! Try booting you computer into SafeMode with networking and reinstalling the driver that failed. Do that by SPAMMING F8 as the computer boots and select Safe Mode with Networking. Then navigate to your saved file of the driver and try running it again.

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

F8 or F9? F8 did nothing

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

okay im in safe mode what do i do now

Seamz

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hey Sorry I hope you got it to work, but once it's in safe mode I wanted you to try and install the driver again. It's possible something running outside of safe mode was causing it to fail.