Limited Lifetime Warranty. Does it matter?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Limited Lifetime Warranty for Graphic Card. Does it matter?

• Yes, Limited Lifetime Warranty or nothing. Will not buy a video card without them!

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • 1 year is good enough for me. Just make sure the price is right.

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • At least 2 years or else I'm buying other brand.

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • 3 year will do. Who keeps a video card that old?

Votes: 34 31.8%
  • Who cares about warranty. It's just a gimmick. Price and Good Product matters more.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • This poll is a fail. Who cares?

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • No it doesn't matter. I'm loyal to my brand.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I don't care about warranty. Technology changes so fast that I just buy a new one.

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsquid

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
we had an EVGA 8800GTX go bad on us at our office. we bought it 3 years ago. one search for our newegg reciept and a phone call later, it was replaced. lifetime warranties are huge when you're buying a card that costs 600 (at the time).

i still have 4 BFG cards that are working fine, if anything happens to them they should be covered since all of them are registered. Did you register your card withing the 30 day time-frame?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
i'm not from the us, but here in manila. palit does 12minute RMA's.. a simple diagnosis of the card and if its faulty, you'd get a replacement immediately. of course you have to bring the card down to the shop.

i wouldn't mind having lifetime warranty but then again i'd rather throw old cards away.

Dirtcheap1970

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
It matters when your a cheap bast*** like me lol...But really the lifetime isn't what it use too be, My card has been gone for over a month now, I called they said they are waiting for stock??!! But I am trying to get them to give me a pci-e card instead of the old AGP. LOL...

jeffredo

Distinguished
Limited lifetime warranties are not a factor in my purchasing decision. The one time I had to use one with EVGA was a complete p.i.t.a.. Five months after purchase the card dies and the one I got back looked like it had been thrown against the walls and performed worse. Took two irate phone calls and a month to get it straightened out and then the replacement card dies four months later. Complete joke. Just give me a solid two year warranty without a bunch of bullcrap and that's fine. Regardless, you're going to foot the bill for shipping and probably just get another person's problem card as a replacement (RMA, return, refurbished, "step-up" etc...).

I think lifetime warranty is not a gimmick. For example, a certain manufacture offers double life time warranty which helps me to sell my older cards to my friends and they don't have to worry about the card dying a month or so later. They and I both have to register the card on the web, but that's a minor inconvenience. For me, older cards go down to replacing an even older card (ie a 4850 replacing a 8800GS,etc) or getting sold to friends.

The warranty is one reason why I buy only eVGA and XFX graphics cards.
Yup. I usually tend to buy EVGA or XFX. Given the same card and a minor price difference ($5-10), I would choose the EVGA/XFX over say, an ASUS.

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
3 years is enough, after all - in most countries - KIA offer 10 year warranties on their cars...

Who's the idiot that's going to buy a KIA just because of their huge warranty????

ardo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

IT also happened to me a few months after warranty my asus P4C800-E stop functionning (over 250$us), but I was stupid enough when replacing this computer to buy another expensive asus P7P55D-E Premium that is going good so far after 2 years of running 16 hours a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.