Limited User Account Access to Internet on Wireless Network

Ed

I'm having a problem when a limited user account logs in and tries to access
the internet on a desktop I set up on a wireless network. It shows the
wireless network as disabled. I have XP Pro OS. I did find out that in
order for a limited user account to access the internet I have to log in as
the administrator and switch over to the limited account user then I see the
wireless network enabled which lets me access the web. Is that the way it's
suppose to work or do I have to set up the limited user account in such a
manner to let it have internet access which will then enable the wireless
network.

I am having the same problem . XP Pro SP2 with a Belkin F5D7001 wireless
card.
Is this a problem with SP2? The Belkin help desk guy had never heard of the
problem.

"Ed" wrote:

> I'm having a problem when a limited user account logs in and tries to access
> the internet on a desktop I set up on a wireless network. It shows the
> wireless network as disabled. I have XP Pro OS. I did find out that in
> order for a limited user account to access the internet I have to log in as
> the administrator and switch over to the limited account user then I see the
> wireless network enabled which lets me access the web. Is that the way it's
> suppose to work or do I have to set up the limited user account in such a
> manner to let it have internet access which will then enable the wireless
> network.

I connacted Belkin again after trying the
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313242&Product=winxp,
which did not work for me.

The Belkin rep suggested installing a registry key:

HKeyLocalMachine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\runservices with
bcmwltry = "bcmwltry.exe", but it has not helped me either.

I wrote an email, so we shall see what comes back.

As common as this problem is with as many vendor's products affected, it
seems more like a Microsoft fault than a NCI fault.

Happy hunting,

Dave M

"Dave M TX" wrote:

> I am having the same problem . XP Pro SP2 with a Belkin F5D7001 wireless
> card.
> Is this a problem with SP2? The Belkin help desk guy had never heard of the
> problem.
>
> "Ed" wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem when a limited user account logs in and tries to access
> > the internet on a desktop I set up on a wireless network. It shows the
> > wireless network as disabled. I have XP Pro OS. I did find out that in
> > order for a limited user account to access the internet I have to log in as
> > the administrator and switch over to the limited account user then I see the
> > wireless network enabled which lets me access the web. Is that the way it's
> > suppose to work or do I have to set up the limited user account in such a
> > manner to let it have internet access which will then enable the wireless
> > network.

Once a wireless connection is configured by an Adminsitrator, it should
connect automatically to the network for all users on the machine. There may
be something in your configuration that is preventing this. Please tell me a
little more about your specific setup.

Are you using Windows software to configure your wireless settings or are
you using a third-party application?
What kind of authentication are you using to connect to the network?

One thing you can check right now ...

- Open the properties page for the wireless connection.
- Select the 'Wireless Networks' tab.
- Is the network you want to connect to in the 'Preferred networks' list?
- If so, select your network in this list and then click on 'Properties'
(you can find the authentication type, etc. on this page)
- Select the 'Connection' tab.
- Make sure the 'Connect when this network is in range' checkbox is checked.

Let me know if this is of any help and if not, get back to me with your
specific configuration.

Thanks!
--
Alan Muller
Software Design Engineer in Test

purposes only.

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem when a limited user account logs in and tries to
> access
> the internet on a desktop I set up on a wireless network. It shows the
> wireless network as disabled. I have XP Pro OS. I did find out that in
> order for a limited user account to access the internet I have to log in
> as
> the administrator and switch over to the limited account user then I see
> the
> wireless network enabled which lets me access the web. Is that the way
> it's
> suppose to work or do I have to set up the limited user account in such a
> manner to let it have internet access which will then enable the wireless
> network.

Ed

Alan,

I am not using Windows XP Pro to configure the wireless network. Belkin has
its own install CD that I used to configure the adapter on the wireless
desktop. I did speak to some of the Belkin Tech Support people and they told
me the all users have to have admin authority to access the network. Does
that make sense?

"Alan Muller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Once a wireless connection is configured by an Adminsitrator, it should
> connect automatically to the network for all users on the machine. There may
> be something in your configuration that is preventing this. Please tell me a
> little more about your specific setup.
>
> Are you using Windows software to configure your wireless settings or are
> you using a third-party application?
> What kind of authentication are you using to connect to the network?
>
> One thing you can check right now ...
>
> - Open the properties page for the wireless connection.
> - Select the 'Wireless Networks' tab.
> - Is the network you want to connect to in the 'Preferred networks' list?
> - If so, select your network in this list and then click on 'Properties'
> (you can find the authentication type, etc. on this page)
> - Select the 'Connection' tab.
> - Make sure the 'Connect when this network is in range' checkbox is checked.
>
> Let me know if this is of any help and if not, get back to me with your
> specific configuration.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Alan Muller
> Software Design Engineer in Test
>
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
> purposes only.

> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having a problem when a limited user account logs in and tries to
> > access
> > the internet on a desktop I set up on a wireless network. It shows the
> > wireless network as disabled. I have XP Pro OS. I did find out that in
> > order for a limited user account to access the internet I have to log in
> > as
> > the administrator and switch over to the limited account user then I see
> > the
> > wireless network enabled which lets me access the web. Is that the way
> > it's
> > suppose to work or do I have to set up the limited user account in such a
> > manner to let it have internet access which will then enable the wireless
> > network.

I see a problem on the Wireless Network connection properties. The
Connection under the preferred network properties is set to "Connect when
this network is in range," however the authentication tab has an error:
IEEE 802.1x autnentication cannot operate on peer-to-peer (ad hoc) networks
or on networks for which data encryption is disabled.

I use Shared and WEP with a network key that I selected (pass phrase). I
have not set it up as an ad hoc network, nor am I using access points. (I am
communicating now using the Admin account.)

When I log out of the admin account and log into a limited account, the
radio is on as the account opens then it shuts down. I cannot reenable it
until I sign in an administrator.

Regards,

Dave M

"Ed" wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I am not using Windows XP Pro to configure the wireless network. Belkin has
> its own install CD that I used to configure the adapter on the wireless
> desktop. I did speak to some of the Belkin Tech Support people and they told
> me the all users have to have admin authority to access the network. Does
> that make sense?
>
> "Alan Muller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Once a wireless connection is configured by an Adminsitrator, it should
> > connect automatically to the network for all users on the machine. There may
> > be something in your configuration that is preventing this. Please tell me a
> > little more about your specific setup.
> >
> > Are you using Windows software to configure your wireless settings or are
> > you using a third-party application?
> > What kind of authentication are you using to connect to the network?
> >
> > One thing you can check right now ...
> >
> > - Open the properties page for the wireless connection.
> > - Select the 'Wireless Networks' tab.
> > - Is the network you want to connect to in the 'Preferred networks' list?
> > - If so, select your network in this list and then click on 'Properties'
> > (you can find the authentication type, etc. on this page)
> > - Select the 'Connection' tab.
> > - Make sure the 'Connect when this network is in range' checkbox is checked.
> >
> > Let me know if this is of any help and if not, get back to me with your
> > specific configuration.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Alan Muller
> > Software Design Engineer in Test
> >
> > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
> > purposes only.

> > "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm having a problem when a limited user account logs in and tries to
> > > access
> > > the internet on a desktop I set up on a wireless network. It shows the
> > > wireless network as disabled. I have XP Pro OS. I did find out that in
> > > order for a limited user account to access the internet I have to log in
> > > as
> > > the administrator and switch over to the limited account user then I see
> > > the
> > > wireless network enabled which lets me access the web. Is that the way
> > > it's
> > > suppose to work or do I have to set up the limited user account in such a
> > > manner to let it have internet access which will then enable the wireless
> > > network.

well for one thing, if you are not using an access point, you are in Ad Hoc
mode.
"DaveM TX" <DaveMTX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> >
>> > One thing you can check right now ...
>> >
>> > - Open the properties page for the wireless connection.
>> > - Select the 'Wireless Networks' tab.
>> > - Is the network you want to connect to in the 'Preferred networks'
>> > list?
>> > - If so, select your network in this list and then click on
>> > 'Properties'
>> > (you can find the authentication type, etc. on this page)
>> > - Select the 'Connection' tab.
>> > - Make sure the 'Connect when this network is in range' checkbox is
>> > checked.
>> >
>> > Let me know if this is of any help and if not, get back to me with your
>> > specific configuration.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > --
>> > Alan Muller
>> > Software Design Engineer in Test
>> >
>> > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for

Dave M,

I believe your problem lies either with the Belkin wireless utility or
the Belkin drivers.

I had the exact same problem with a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, Win XP
Pro, when I installed a Belkin F5D7011 802.11G PCMCIA card.

As the administrator account, I could connect and the card worked fine,
but on all of the 3 limited user accounts, the radio would not enable,
hence the account could not connect.

To make a long story short, I discovered the Belkin card has the same
Broadcom chipset as a Dell Truemobile 1300 Mini-pc card. I also knew
for a fact that the Dell wireless utility does NOT have the limited
account problem.

So here is what I did to fix the problem. I downloaded from Dell
support the driver (and Wireless Utility) for a Truemobile 1300 Mini-PC
card. I uninstalled the Belkin wireless utility and the card.

Then I installed the Truemobile driver (and wireless utility included),
then installed the Belkin card. The new hardware wizard found the
driver for what it calls a Truemobile PCMCIA card.

I started the wireless utility from the start menu and all limited
accounts worked fine.

Don't know if this will help you or not.
I never called Belkin tech support.

Good luck

Doc in Hawaii

--
rick23

Thank you, Rick. I like your approach, unfortunately I am not running a Dell
machine nor a PCMCIA card, though I will research alternative driver sources.

Regards,

Dave M

"rick23" wrote:

> Dave M,
>
> I believe your problem lies either with the Belkin wireless utility or
> the Belkin drivers.
>
> I had the exact same problem with a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, Win XP
> Pro, when I installed a Belkin F5D7011 802.11G PCMCIA card.
>
> As the administrator account, I could connect and the card worked fine,
> but on all of the 3 limited user accounts, the radio would not enable,
> hence the account could not connect.
>
> To make a long story short, I discovered the Belkin card has the same
> Broadcom chipset as a Dell Truemobile 1300 Mini-pc card. I also knew
> for a fact that the Dell wireless utility does NOT have the limited
> account problem.
>
> So here is what I did to fix the problem. I downloaded from Dell
> support the driver (and Wireless Utility) for a Truemobile 1300 Mini-PC
> card. I uninstalled the Belkin wireless utility and the card.
>
> Then I installed the Truemobile driver (and wireless utility included),
> then installed the Belkin card. The new hardware wizard found the
> driver for what it calls a Truemobile PCMCIA card.
>
> I started the wireless utility from the start menu and all limited
> accounts worked fine.
>
> Don't know if this will help you or not.
> I never called Belkin tech support.
>
> Good luck
>
> Doc in Hawaii

> DaveM TX wrote:
> > *I connacted Belkin again after trying the
> > http://tinyurl.com/3u7qn
> > which did not work for me.
> >
> > The Belkin rep suggested installing a registry key:
> >
> > HKeyLocalMachine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\runservices
> > with
> > bcmwltry = "bcmwltry.exe", but it has not helped me either.
> >
> > I wrote an email, so we shall see what comes back.
> >
> > As common as this problem is with as many vendor's products affected,
> > it
> > seems more like a Microsoft fault than a NCI fault.
> >
> > Happy hunting,
> >
> > Dave M
> >
> > "Dave M TX" wrote:
> > [vbcol=seagreen]
> > > I am having the same problem . XP Pro SP2 with a Belkin F5D7001
> > wireless
> > > card.
> > > Is this a problem with SP2? The Belkin help desk guy had never
> > heard of the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > "Ed" wrote:
> > > *
>

> --
> rick23

Hi
I have a wifi pci card, a belkin F5D7001 like you, I followed this :

Card: Belkin F5D7001 Highspeed Wireless 128Mbps Desktop Network Card
Chipset: BCM4306
pciid: 14e4:4320
Driver: http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R81433.EXE (use bcmwl5a.inf in
directory AR)
Other: The card is working however I am not sure about the advertised
speeds. I will update later. Used ndiswrapper on a Fedora Core 2
distro. Dell driver worked better than the Belkin CD.

Using a dell driver, it works far better than the original one, even
not logged as an admin.
(the R81433 is around 10 mb)

good luck

--