Question Muy Caliente CPU

Jun 22, 2024
HWInfo Sensor Readings and Cinebench Marks (images)

Pre-build from NZXT.

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4090
Mobo: NZXT N7 Z790
Cooler: Kraken Elite 360mm AIO (+7 fans in the case)
Memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 Mhz
Power: 1000W Gold
Case: NZXT H9 Elite

I got this PC on January 2024. It was working fine until about a month ago when my computer would crash or the game that I'm running would crash. First, I thought it was software so I reformatted my computer, updated all drivers, and only re-downloaded the necessary programs and games. Then I started to notice a pattern where my computer/program would crash only when I'm doing something intensive like gaming or streaming+gaming.

Recently I saw that there was an issue with 13th/14th Gen Intel CPUs and I tried almost everything.
- used Intel's XTU to undervolt (could only get to -0.020V offset before I would get the BSOD)
- went into BIOS to change the CPU Core Limit from Auto (500) to Manual (360)
- set the PL1 and PL2 to 253W
- under clocked the Performance Core Ratio from 57x to around 54x
- under clocked the Efficient Core Ratio from 44x to around 41x
- updated BIOS to latest (also cleared CMOS by pressing the "reset" button on the motherboard)
- tried using XMP Profile 1, XMP Profile 2, and Auto
- used NZXT CAM software to increase fan profile from "Default" to "Performance" to really crank up the airflow
- removed the side glass pane for maybe better cooling (room temp around 72F)

The only thing I haven't done is check the thermal paste. As this is a pre-build, I wanted to avoid doing this if possible. From what I've seen, the Kraken Elite 360mm AIO comes with thermal paste already applied to the back of the LCD screen that would then attach to the CPU housing.

Lastly, I don't know if it was my ears playing tricks on me, but when I ran the Cinebench testing, I MAY have heard a brief rattling noise (1-3 seconds) coming from my PC. But it was so brief that I couldn't hone in on it. I just thought that the Cinebench was demanding so much that my PC briefly cried :ROFLMAO:.

Any and all help/insight would be appreciated! ♥️

Muy Caliente CPU​

i-love-lucy-ricky-ricardo.gif

Any bios that has any auto overclocking enabled will not apply any manual settings, you will have to disable auto overclock/enhancements for settings to apply.

Any new bios update should include intel default settings which are the maximum settings that intel has tested as being safe for the CPU.

You should run hwiinfo during benchmark and show us watts amps and volts as well as temps and PL1/PL2.

Jun 22, 2024
Any bios that has any auto overclocking enabled will not apply any manual settings, you will have to disable auto overclock/enhancements for settings to apply.
Oooh, I'll have to check the BIOS and see if there is an option to disable all auto overclocking. Did not know that changing PL1/PL2 settings manually wouldn't work.

You should run hwiinfo during benchmark and show us watts amps and volts as well as temps and PL1/PL2.
Apologies for my noob-ness, but one of the screenshots I attached via Imgur was of HWInfo during a Cinebench test. Is this what you're looking for?

Thank you for your reply!

Apologies for my noob-ness, but one of the screenshots I attached via Imgur was of HWInfo during a Cinebench test. Is this what you're looking for?

Thank you for your reply!
Oops, didn't register with me.
Yeah, it shows that watts got limited to 253W but volts go up to almost 1.5V which is a bit much, it can still create a lot of heat even though the wattage is limited.

Core ratio shows as 57 in the pic is that from before your changes?!

Jun 22, 2024
Core ratio shows as 57 in the pic is that from before your changes?!
Initially, I under clocked the CPU cores thinking that it would fix things. When under clocking didn't work, I just reverted back to default settings (hence the 57 ratio). The Cinebench test was done last night with all default settings. The only thing I changed was setting the CPU Core Current Limit to 360 in BIOS, instead of the default 500.

I'll have to double check when I get home, but I don't think I saw a reading for the CPU Core Current Limit on HWInfo. Maybe if the BIOS settings of 360A is not being enforced, that's why the CPU is overheating?

But I did read somewhere that if the BIOS is setting the Core Current Limit to 500A on auto, it's because the motherboard and CPU can handle it without an issue.

But I did read somewhere that if the BIOS is setting the Core Current Limit to 500A on auto, it's because the motherboard and CPU can handle it without an issue.
400A is the absolute maximum that intel recommends...for EXTREME usage.
I would set everything to the performance settings and see how that goes for a while, I bet there wouldn't even be much if any difference in performance.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...ress-issues-as-intel-continues-to-investigate
NqZU8wsFMk3rnSrosL3Xtc-1200-80.jpg.webp