Question Limiting network bandwith for other members of the household

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Hello, i like playing online games but every time someone tries to even load up a page on the internet, i immidiately feel lags and stutters its very annoying, im paying for the internet all by myself so i think i have this right... but im thinking whether i would still feel the "lag" in latency even if i would lower(limit) the bandwith for other users or not. Or if i should just ask another provider and pay for another one which only i would have an access to...

Also i would like to know which router to choose which allows this option, becouse my current one does not have it

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, i like playing online games but every time someone tries to even load up a page on the internet, i immidiately feel lags and stutters its very annoying, im paying for the internet all by myself so i think i have this right... but im thinking whether i would still feel the "lag" in latency if i would lower(limit) the bandwith for other users or not. Also i would like to know which router to choose which allows this option, becouse my current one does not have it
Are you using WIFI or a wired connection to the router?

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Ok, with a wired connection, you have dedicated bandwidth to the router. WIFI is shared bandwidth. What is your ISP package? Do you get your paid for values?
LTE connection 50mb/s download 25mb/s upload and yes i do, but anyway i was told elsewhere to just set a high priority for my PC in QoS of my router, so i have dig up an old router i thought i does not have any, and set it up, its an archer ax1800 so i'll test it

kanewolf

Titan
LTE connection 50mb/s download 25mb/s upload and yes i do, but anyway i was told elsewhere to just set a high priority for my PC in QoS of my router, so i have dig up an old router i thought i does not have any, and set it up, its an archer ax1800 so i'll test it
Since you have cellular for ISP, QOS might fix things or might not. QOS only prioritizes traffic to the output of your router. Cellular is much less consistent than other connections. Delays beyond your router is not changed by QOS on your router.

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Since you have cellular for ISP, QOS might fix things or might not. QOS only prioritizes traffic to the output of your router. Cellular is much less consistent than other connections. Delays beyond your router is not changed by QOS on your router.
yeah but i dont have issues beyond my router, its the household members who jams the bandwidth

kanewolf

Titan
yeah but i dont have issues beyond my router, its the household members who jams the bandwidth
From your original post "someone tries to even load up a page on the internet" will NOT use 50/25 bandwidth. QOS will only prioritize output. Loading a page will NOT saturate 25Mbit output. If you had said they were torrenting and streaming 4K Netflix, you might have a good shot with QOS. But your original statements make me say, that QOS is unlikely to change the situation.
Could you be running into to some other issue with the router? Possible.
What router are you using ?

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
From your original post "someone tries to even load up a page on the internet" will NOT use 50/25 bandwidth. QOS will only prioritize output. Loading a page will NOT saturate 25Mbit output. If you had said they were torrenting and streaming 4K Netflix, you might have a good shot with QOS. But your original statements make me say, that QOS is unlikely to change the situation.
Could you be running into to some other issue with the router? Possible.
What router are you using ?
well it is what it is, its been like this forever with this connection, maybe its becouse of what games i'm playing, mostly its FIFA and every time when even a spotify is switching songs you can feel the lag and there is even a visual output added now to the game, of course i dont feel it in other games, but since its fifa most of the time, its really annoying

its a one year old archer ax1800 hooked up through the lte huawei modem b2368-66

Your problem might just be that it is use mobile broadband. You are sharing the cell tower bandwidth many other people using cell phones and other mobile devices.
These type of connections are very random in how well they work. They can be fine if there is a lot of bandwidth on the tower and you have a strong signal. They can be unusable if the signal level is weak and even with the very best signal the ISP will tend to favor mobile users who are say driving by the cell tower over fixed users. They do not want to drop a call or internet session for the mobile person and trade that for a little slowness for the fixed users.

kanewolf

Titan
well it is what it is, its been like this forever with this connection, maybe its becouse of what games i'm playing, mostly its FIFA and every time when even a spotify is switching songs you can feel the lag and there is even a visual output added now to the game, of course i dont feel it in other games, but since its fifa most of the time, its really annoying

its a one year old archer ax1800 hooked up through the lte huawei modem b2368-66
First thing is that the Huawei looks like a router to me. It has multiple LAN ports and WIFI. So you should probably start by eliminating your AX1800 and see what happens.