Limits of overclocking

kikoferrari3

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me what are the real limits/what really represents danger in overclocking.

I know that temperatures are the most important thing to watch out for, the cpu must run at under 75º under load or something like that, and I understand it, but what about voltage?

Does the danger of increasing voltage only translates into high temperatures, or high voltage itself is dangerous for the cpu too? Is it ok to have a cpu running at like 2V if we somehow manage to have it run below 75º? (in an exagerate hypothesis). Or the 2V itself will damage the cpu, regardless of how cool you can keep the cpu?

Also, on another topic, what is the maximum voltage you think it would be safe to use in a skylake build, with a cooler master 212?

Thanks

Solution
Because all circuits have resistance (other than those using superconductors), be they via wire, a circuit board trace, or the etched cicuits in a processor, they generate heat. Raising the voltage raises the heat. So there is a direct tie between voltage and heat. That's how over voltage expresses itself.

There are no hard and fast rules to overclocking. By definition, overclocking is working outside the guaranteed limits of the product. Because of process variations caused by wear and tear on manufacturing equipment and varying manufacturing environmental factors, not to mention usage variations, it is impossible to predict how a specific component will respond to overclocking. One CPU might overclock really well and another, even from the same batch, might not overclock at all. The same CPU that overclocked well may not overclock as well in another motherboard or using a different chipset or PSU.

I know a lot of components are advertised as overclockable, but you have to read the disclaimers. Just because they are advertised that way doesn't mean every attempt, or any attempt, will succeed.

It all boils down to the exact component you have in hand.

kikoferrari3

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Thanks for the answer, but I still don't understand, can I run high voltages if I have the cooling capacity to keep everything under a safe temperature?

Higher voltages are also dangeruse. The rule of thumb is no more than 10% should be attempted unless your using LN2 or other extreme cooling. Voltage can kill your CPU with the flip of the switch by basically cuts its own path.

Solution

kikoferrari3

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

thanks!! what do you mean by 10%? 10% of the initial voltage?

Yup if your cpu is running 1.25v then no more than 1.375 to stay under 10%. This is if your cooling can even handle that voltage.