[SOLVED] Line Out port different size on XPS 8300?

CrispyBytes

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Hi,
I have just bought some Logitech speakers to use with an old XPS 8300 (which has an upgraded power supply, memory and GPU).

The speakers come with a 3.5mm jack which plugs into all of the ports the 8300's integrated sound card, except the green line out. It also plugs into all the port on all the integrated sound cards on the other PCs which I have built.

I'm assuming that, for some reason, the line out on the 8300 is a 2.5mm (even though all of the other ports are 3.5mm), and so plan to buy a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter.

I just wanted to ask whether, in fact, the line out was sometimes 2.5mm on some cards. If so, I'll just go ahead and try an adapter but, if not, I'll have to investigate further.

Solution
Ports should all be the same size, would be highly wierd if it wasn't, even for Dell's as their peripherals used a 3.5mm jack too.

Only thing I ca suggest is get a good light, some hi-po reading glasses and take a peek at the inside of that port, it might have suffered some damage in the past, or someone broke off a jack in it and it's preventing the new jack from fitting.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ports should all be the same size, would be highly wierd if it wasn't, even for Dell's as their peripherals used a 3.5mm jack too.

Only thing I ca suggest is get a good light, some hi-po reading glasses and take a peek at the inside of that port, it might have suffered some damage in the past, or someone broke off a jack in it and it's preventing the new jack from fitting.

Solution

CrispyBytes

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks to both of you. I did think it was a bit strange. I will investigate the port further. It is an old machine so it is quite possible that there is some damage or debris.