Linksys network security

SDMan43

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello,
Wondering on network security. I have a Linksys router which is secured via password (WEP), but I also have other "eletronics" (not computers) attached to the router which I get data from. Can someone access those electronics via the internet connection/router? They do not have the abiltiy to have a firewall/Norton etc. Only protection between them and outside world is the router.

Any ideas?

SDMan43

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Thank you for your response, but still have questions.....

I don't think I have ports forwarded (how do I know?). The electronics have scripts that could be "messed" with, but I don't know how to secure unless not connected to outside world, but then I have to have dedicated computer to them (which is inconvient). Password, don't know if it is WEP (made assumption) - all I know is that it is 20+ characters, capital, lower case with numbers as well to access the wireless network key. The question is....is it still secure?

If you don't know if you have ports forwarded you don't. It is something that tends to be tedious to configure so you would know if you had set it up.

The key itself is not so much related to the encryption method. You need to use good keys no matter the protocol. The problem with WEP is even with the very best keys someone can find out what it is because of a flaw in the design of WEP. WPA/WPA2 in a non enterprise environment is still susceptible to a brute force attack which is why you still need a good key but it will take days or more to do. WEP can be cracked in less than 5 seconds no matter the key you use.