Linksys Promises Combined 2.53 Gbps Wi-Fi Speeds With Max-Stream AC2600 MU-MIMO Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
My ISP provides 5MBs download. I need one of these!! Seriously, if these router manufacturers would stop the speed game upmanship and instead make a stable product I think we would all be alot happier
1 Gbps down / 200 Mbps up in Spain. Not everyone has third world download speeds.

Calvin Huang

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Even if you don't have gigabit internet access, having access to higher LAN transfer speeds is still very useful to people with multiple computers or network attached storage.

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
The article does not seem to mention that you take advantage of MU-MIMO you need to have a MU-MIMO compatible client. At the current moment, the only other device that can be a MU-MIMO client is probably this router itself. There will be supposedly some Acer notebooks coming in the summer with MU-MIMO. Does this sound very exciting? That's what I thought. Save your money and buy an ordinary AC1200-AC1900 router or keep one you already have. MU-MIMO will become interesting maybe at least 2-3 years from now once you upgrade all of your gadgets.

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
The article does not seem to mention that you take advantage of MU-MIMO you need to have a MU-MIMO compatible client. At the current moment, the only other device that can be a MU-MIMO client is probably this router itself. There will be supposedly some Acer notebooks coming in the summer with MU-MIMO. Does this sound very exciting? That's what I thought. Save your money and buy an ordinary AC1200-AC1900 router or keep one you already have. MU-MIMO will become interesting maybe at least 2-3 years from now once you upgrade all of your gadgets.

Thanks for the excellent point, jacobian! I am in the market for a new router (and DSL modem) because I will be upgrading my current CenturyLink connection from 12 Mbps to 40 Mbps. I was getting super hyped to spend $200-250 for a router like this Linksys EA8500 or an ASUS RT-AC87U. I think it'll be better to just get a $100 AC router now, and wait a couple of years to upgrade to one that is MU-MIMO capable. :)

Do you have any suggestions for a good DSL modem? I don't want to use the modem/router combo device that CenturyLink sells for $99. I read some articles recently describing how devices provided by the ISP are generally not good for internet security. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS