Linksys Wireless-G Vs Netgear WGT624

becks

Been looking through the posts but with no luck.

From looking at all the usual reviews through the web - these two seem
to come out the best ... (the Draytek is way out of the price range!)

- Linksys Wireless-G 54mbps Broadband Router
- NETGEAR WGT624 802.11g 108 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Firewall Router

Now, CNET reviews posted on the newsgroup put the Netgear over the
LinkSys, but reading the other posts, many people say to stay away
from anything netgear !!!

Noticing that alot of the posts are reasonably old (and alot of them
note about firmware upgrades), which in your view is the best now? Or
is there something else in the price range which is now better?

One other thing, I need any indication on which has the best range,
and whether I can stick a repeater on either?

Thanks in advance,
Becks

If you'd like WallWatcher to report what the WGT624 can log, you can
download the "Log Capture" utility program from the WW website
http://www.wallwatcher.com , run it, and send me the captured RAW
file. If it's feasible to add support, I'll let you know when
something's ready for testing.

I just purchased a Netgear WG311T wireless PCI adapter and installed it
on my neighbours computer. It would have worked without a hitch had it
not been for my mistake. In the end, it worked perfectly and I didn't
even to set anything up. It just automatically detected my wireless
network and connected.

I have a Linksys wireless router that is connected to my wired network.
The setup was simple (install the software first) and at first it
didn't detect the hardware because when I screwed in the board, it came
partway out of the slot in the motherboard. After scratching my head,
I reopened the case and pushed down on the board and saw that it wasn't
seated properly so I just left the screw out and made sure the board
was seated.

When I turned on the computer the little tray icon appeared just as the
manual said it would. I was already connected without any
configuration at all. Unfortunately, the Linksys wireless router only
allows 54 Mbps so I doesn't take advantage of the Netgear's 108 Mbps
capability. In any case, the signal strength was at 65-75% but the
speed was only 11 Mbps. Since my neighbour is only accessing the
internet, I figured the 11 Mpbs is adequate for surfing.

I do have cordless phones and I still need to check if they are in the
2.4 GHz range (this may explain the low speed). Also the signal
travels from my home office through two stucco walls to the other side
of my neighbours house, approximately 40' away so I was pretty happy
with a 65-75% signal.

The wireless router is my roommates and he'll be moving out in a couple
of months. The IT guys at work like the Netgear stuff. I installed a
Netgear switch at the network backboard under the sidewalk and it got
drenched in rainwater twice. I mean water poring into the data jacks.
Each time after drying out the switch for 24 h it worked perfectly
again. I figure, I'll upgrade the wireless router to a Netgear model
when my roommate leaves.

In summary, I'm very happy with the Netgear PCI adapter. I'll probably
buy a Netgear PCI card for my laptop next (if I ever get around to
replacing the defunct battery).

On a funnier note, my new tenant downstairs connected her modem with a
phone line to the data jack and wondered why she didn't have a network
connection. Partly my fault, I should have at least given her a patch
cord but god knows where she would have stuck that.

--
hunkeler
http://forums.speedguide.net