Linksys WRT54G is Making a Return with New Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladosiri

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I have and still use WRT54G(L) and I was excited to see this coming up...till I saw $299.99 price tag.I guess I'll be sticking with WRT54G for little bit more now.

Don't mock what I think it's the best moddable Router of all times!

I replaced it only because of 1Gbps networking and dual band (Netgear WNDR3700), so I lent mine to a friend who fried his cheap d-link out of nowhere.

Cheers!

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Wait a few months after the release as the price will come down. I think $249 this year will be a sweet spot and then $199 next year when they revamp the hardware to reduce cost.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I was all set to say hurry up and take my money then I noticed the 299 buy in and cant help but laugh. The spec's look nice and the design is classic but that does not justify the price. Darkk I dont ever see there being a very big market for this. Maybe there just trying to go for limited retro classic type deal.. I figured by mid year AC will be far more common and we will see most the 199 routers priced in the 125-150 range. While the 150 routers will be in the 99 dollar range. We will also get some sub 100 dollar AC Solutions.

Cool! I've had the WRT54GS since 2006. It's now 2014 and I'm finally ready to upgrade to a more current WiFi technology. But $300...OUCH! Well, I've waited this long, I can wait another year for this thing to drop below $200.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
AC is nice but everything I own is N, so I really don't have any use for AC but if they made this in an N config and sell it for 50 bucks I'd def consider it.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Ive had a WRT54GL for years, flashed it with DDWRT on day one and it never failed.I only retired it for a Netgear 3500L because I wanted Gigabit ports and Wireless N all through out my home network. I was excited to see it back but not for $300.My 3500L is still going strong with DDWRT and I have no Wireless AC devices that will benefit from the speeds so I can wait until media settop boxes have wireless AC

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Definitely like the looks but that price tag ouch! I've been using the WRT54G for many years now and it does exactly what I need it for, however signal strength can get very low when I'm in bed, reading news articles of course. Will have to wait for prices to come down, my current WRT54G was $50 brand new.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
But the real question is does Linksys understand why people loved this router. Was it for the looks or was it because you could put DD-WRT on it. Will they support DD-WRT on this new device and if it is just because of DD-WRT then their are a bazillion other options out there as well.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I like the removable antenna option. I like the full Gigabit. Legitimate processing power. opensource support. Seriously, this is not that bad of a deal for $299, especially if they are going to include VLAN tagging/routing, or it is made available via DD-WRT. Plug in an external for a makeshift NAS with esata speed... too cool. Its nice to see a real response to the loss of the modding community to more open companies like Buffalo in recent years. Some of us enjoy networking, and having the hardware available to do it right.

Hunt4Epic

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
The older models were designed to be stackable, which greatly influenced their shape. This one appears to not be, so it is really just going for the nostalgia.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
There was some holiday specials with AC for <$100. This price better be a joke. I realize it has some premium features but unless it comes with a kegarator it's not that special

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Linksys worst after sales support company ever. After 2+ years they still haven't released firmware for the wireless security flaw of WAG320N. Screw them...

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Old WRT54G's make great inexpensive access points to add to the corners of your LAN. $299 does seem a bit steep but the NAS & opensource options are attractive. Hopefully the build quality is on par with the WRT54G.

I'll wait to see how good the NAS on this unit is. If the dual core processor allows it to do things like video surveillance recording or media server type stuff. Then the $300 price tag is a real steal.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
My WRT54GL has been chugging along nicely for years (via Tomato firmware). If the "updated" version is half as solid a device, then it will be a winner once the price adjusts to market conditions. Don't let the initial MSRP be the deciding factor (or a distraction at this point), lets evaluate the performance when it actually comes available. It's "open-ness" and how configurable it really is will be key factors as well.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I have had my WRT54GL since 2007 and still going strong. never had a reboot or disconnect. This thing is amazing. The only down side to it is that, on LAN, I can't achieve anything faster than 40Mb/s. On wifi 28mb/s. I get a 50+ mb/s connection from comcast but still 40 mb/s is not bad. A straight connection to the modem gives me 60 mb/s. I have been considering getting a new router but I all i hear is that there is no really good reliable one out for sell. With my router being so good I really don't see a need to get a new one. I guess this is why manufactures don't like building reliable products...people wont buy any more after lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.