News LinusTechTips: Buying Second-Hand GPUs Is a Good Idea, Even From Miners

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Nonsense. Buying from Established good vendors will always honor warranty.

that's the reason why I always buy from the same pc store at the mall here in my country = PC Hub. Every gpu purchase I got from them comes with warranty, as long as the box is kept in good condition. Terms and conditions of the warranty is written on the official receipt and signed by their staff. Warranty was actually tested if they would honor it on my second purchase, a 1650 which artifacted. They inspected it and I was offered a full refund. But after some more tests performed, turns out I was just using the wrong cable (lol). The good service is the reason why I've already purchased 3 gpu from this store, and probably more in the future if they would have a 4050 in stock.

cash is so hard to earn these days. Takes months to build up funds to buy a gpu. No way in hell I would risk buying a cheap second hand with no warranty. One common method by scammers here is sell on facebook, they use multiple fake accounts to give their shop a good rep, then delete their shop after a succesful scam. When I was looking for a 1050ti during the gpu crisis, got approached by someone claiming they have a "good deal" from a certain Facebook store - to which I immediately refused.

Last edited:
Reactions: atomicWAR
D

Deleted member 14196

I am sorry you’ve had such a bad experience, but I’ve never had this experience from buying electronics not even once. And one time I was a jerk and overclocked my system and MSI gave me a brand new mobo

no I don’t RMA a lot of stuff because I usually don’t ever have problems. I buy hardware and put it together and it works. over the years I’ve built many systems. Never had your experience.

anyway, have a good day. Thanks for voicing your opinion.

I am sorry you’ve had such a bad experience, but I’ve never had this experience from buying electronics not even once. And one time I was a jerk and overclocked my system and MSI gave me a brand new mobo

no I don’t RMA a lot of stuff because I usually don’t ever have problems. I buy hardware and put it together and it works. over the years I’ve built many systems. Never had your experience.
I am not saying that it is common, but not surprising if you come to some resistance when RMAing products for manufacturing defects within warranty periods. I have bought thousands of individual parts over the years. Maybe 20-30 of them died outside of the return policy but within warranty. Of those items I can remember 3 of them that I had issue sending in for RMA and had to argue with several people over the phone and email to get 2 of them to honor their warranty. The 3rd one's warranty was never honored. It was an AOC monitor from some years back.

D

Deleted member 14196

Well, here’s to wishing you better luck in the future

Well, here’s to wishing you better luck in the future
My point was that it can happen and therefore, it would be a gamble to take that risk. It is not just me this has happened to. A quick google and you will get tens of thousands of peoples experience with manufacturers not honoring their warranty for reason that it will save them money and your only recourse would be to sue them, costing you tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for something that may have cost you a few thousand at most.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
He's right, he's done the research and test. Like him or not Linus is the greatest mind of our generation with his skills at testing giving solid results

D

Deleted member 14196

My point was that it can happen and therefore, it would be a gamble to take that risk. It is not just me this has happened to. A quick google and you will get tens of thousands of peoples experience with manufacturers not honoring their warranty for reason that it will save them money and your only recourse would be to sue them, costing you tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for something that may have cost you a few thousand at most.
I’m not convinced by her argument at all. Let’s just agree to disagree. Let’s put it this way. You have a much higher probability of getting an RMA when you buy something new and it doesn’t work and you return it right away. Honestly, I really don’t know what you’re talking about and I don’t know anybody who’s had problems with RMA. My business has literally built thousands of PCs and we don’t have these problems nor have we ever so it’s not a gamble. Maybe you should be careful whom you buy stuff from.

I’ve never once seen anything with bulging capacitors that was pawned off as new, so that maybe you’re buying stuff from the wrong people and your opinion is skewed to your experiences anyway.

and for the record, I don’t believe monkey Joe on Google reviews. Most of those people have probably damaged their own hardware through overclocking and what not and just want to get a freebie. And when they don’t they get angry and write a nasty review. That’s not evidence. OK I’m done with this stupid argument.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
He's right, he's done the research and test. Like him or not Linus is the greatest mind of our generation with his skills at testing giving solid results

LOL!!!! Thanks for the greatest joke of the decade!!

Your Freudian sense of sarcasm is amazing. But I bet you don't know that!!

Reactions: Tac 25
Status
Not open for further replies.