Linux 3.1 With Wii Controller Support Published

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
As soon as major applications can easily be (or are) platform-independently developed, people will stop paying money for Windows.

Windows huge market share ensures they will have more software developers making programs that target their architecture.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Okay, another Linux kernel. Meanwhile, Windows 7 is still kicking Linux's ass in terms of functionality despite the same kernel for already a few years[/citation]
O please enunciate the functionalities that are lacking in linux that exist in windows.

Ichy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I aggree with vlad. Linux has just as much functionality as windows. The only real problem with it is that developers are not developing native versions of their software for the OS. I forsee a day when developers will, however, Linux will not "kill" Windows. Reason, same principle that has the mac fan boys continuing to buy mac, its familiar its trusted and for the general users much easier to setup and work with.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
The thing I think people don't seem to get is that Linux is for the more technically inclined. For the most part its still terminal based. Until people can just click on an EXE and click next, next, next to install a program Linux is not gonna catch on.

I'm fairly inclined with computer; when guys are going to buy, i recommend they build, when they need advice on parts they talk to me. when then need an OS installed or a dual boot set up they call me, so its not like my understanding of computers is zero.

With all that said I wouldn't touch Linux with a 10 foot pole. All that command line crap is not fun. If Linux is to REALLY take off it needs to keep the hard core stuff underneath for the tech nerds to play around with while having the top coat super simple for the lowest common denominator all while staying free.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]The thing I think people don't seem to get is that Linux is for the more technically inclined. For the most part its still terminal based. Until people can just click on an EXE and click next, next, next to install a program Linux is not gonna catch on.I'm fairly inclined with computer; when guys are going to buy, i recommend they build, when they need advice on parts they talk to me. when then need an OS installed or a dual boot set up they call me, so its not like my understanding of computers is zero.With all that said I wouldn't touch Linux with a 10 foot pole. All that command line crap is not fun. If Linux is to REALLY take off it needs to keep the hard core stuff underneath for the tech nerds to play around with while having the top coat super simple for the lowest common denominator all while staying free.[/citation]
Linux has come a long way in terms of easiness. Most linux software is available through the repositories and there even exist tons of other repositories that increase the number of available software. Even when the software isn't available on the repositories its available in RPM/DEB, so installing on system based in debian/red hat, which are the most common, usually takes just a few click. There also exists software that use an installer even though they're rare (VmWare Workstation).

My mother is literally a tech illiterate. Her first and only computer is an old EEEPC 1000H with ubuntu in it. She has learned to install new software, maintain the system even upgrade the distro. The funny thing his she hates windows, because she says it's confusing. And when I updated windows xp to windows 7 on her system without her knowledge she almost bite my head off. She had much difficulty adapting to the new UI, yet she adapted to unity with ease.

Of course with her was more easy. Since she never had a computer before, she wasn't accustom to any OS.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Okay, another Linux kernel. Meanwhile, Windows 7 is still kicking Linux's ass in terms of functionality despite the same kernel for already a few years[/citation]

Yes, I think you should stick with windows. Linux does require some skill.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]I've been using linux for over 10yrs now (no windows in my house for about 7yrs)Just built myself a Llano system, running excellent[/citation]
Long Live Linux

G

First time commenting here on Tom's.

I'm glad to see more Linux news here, but some of the reporting is not right, like LIO (linux-iscsi.org) that was included 4 versions ago in 2.6.38. Also the Wii controller support is hardly special, Linux also supports the PS2 "Trance Vibrator" and Xbox 360 controller, but i can see how it grabs attention as a headline. Anyways, keep following and writing about Linux! :)

Also I find it funny how many misconceptions there are about Linux still. Like comparing modern day Windows to win95 - but I wouldn't know having used Linux exclusively for more than a decade.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
When I read stupid comments like this one I more often than not navigate away from Toms...

shreeharsha

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I just started using Ubuntu 11.10 on my primary notebook & at last I found a good usable Linux for daily use. And for Games there's always Windows Desktop computer

Status
Not open for further replies.