Linux 3.2 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]g4114rd0[/nom]  - Spheniscus magellanicus, Penguins feathers are short but...+1 added drivers for new WLAN chips[/citation]

Yea but the video drivers still suck! When will those get fixed?

P.S. Yeah, yeah I know the hardware manufacturers fault, bla bla, Microsoft monopoly bla bla, they've gotten better but still suck bla bla.
I don't care! Just fix them, the community, the companies, Santa Claus, whoever is up for the task. I'm sick of it already!

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
But the new graphics modules break intel IOMMU support.
This isn't all that big of a deal, if you know what VT-d is and where it is applied, but I imagine that people who will try it out and get a kernel panic when trying to boot will be pretty pissed. You don't need VT-d if you don't need virtualized guest OS's direct access to peripheral hardware.

And I don't know if you have checked or not, but the latest open source nouveau and Rxxx drivers have made huge progress towards everyday usability. Some radeon drivers are even faster than the closed source counter parts, nouveau is working towards no-nonsense power management. They are maturing, even if at a miserably slow pace.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
...and all of three people rejoice...is he getting fatter as he's growing older? put down the fork, torvalds! that third chin is starting to show! :p

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Yea but the video drivers still suck! When will those get fixed?P.S. Yeah, yeah I know the hardware manufacturers fault, bla bla, Microsoft monopoly bla bla, they've gotten better but still suck bla bla. I don't care! Just fix them, the community, the companies, Santa Claus, whoever is up for the task. I'm sick of it already![/citation]
Why don't use fix them? Oh, you have a busy lifestyle, programming is not for you, it's the government's job... better to just complain about it, understandable.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Will Btfs ever go stable?[/citation]

As far as I have heard, btrfs is the default file system of the most recent release of Fedora. The benchmarks aren't quite there yet, but I am sure they are continuing to tweak. It's got a way to go to catch up to ZFS (Solaris), but I think it's great that they are working hard at it.

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Yea but the video drivers still suck! When will those get fixed?P.S. Yeah, yeah I know the hardware manufacturers fault, bla bla, Microsoft monopoly bla bla, they've gotten better but still suck bla bla. I don't care! Just fix them, the community, the companies, Santa Claus, whoever is up for the task. I'm sick of it already![/citation]

Yup that's the point of the community and what they like to make a point of being a positive.

g4114rd0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

...interested in UNIX
FreeBSD

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Im kind of distro shopping right now...Linux Mint 12 currently... anybody have a suggestion? not a fan of Unity or Gnome 3[/citation]

Mint 12 works perfectly with Mate with bot Compiz and Cairo and, no need to use Unity and Gnome3 at all.

Otherwize, if you still want something based on Linux Mint but completely Gnome 2 based (not just MAte), then Ultimate Edition 3 maybe your cup of tea? It's based on Mint 11 but comes with everything (and then some) preinstalled including working compiz and 3d-dock (Avant or Cairo) and a ton of theme. Probably the most insanely loaded and complete version with everything "on" from the get go. Not having to hunt down themes is probably the greatest time saver...

Status
Not open for further replies.