Linux and on-line banking

anon_private

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hello,

I need to use public pc's for on-line banking (https connection)

I have been told that to ensure security I need to run under Linux.

Can someone advise on the best free and portable version to use. Free Disk would be nice (slow connection.

Any primers also welcome.

Thanks

PS. Lib pc's based in UK, running Windows.

Have portable programme that prevents any recording of key strokes, mouse clicks, clipborad monitoring or screen captures.

I'll probaly use Firefox (portable)for connection.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
You can get a free disc for basically any linux, although it will take a few weeks to deliver. Ubuntu is a good distro, especially for beginners and you can request a CD here.

Linux does have very good security, and as a general rule it won't be hacked, but I think your biggest problem is going to be booting Linux on a public PC. Unless the IT department at the library is fail there is likely going to be multiple levels of security on the BIOS which you would require to change if you were to boot off of a CD and not the hard drive of the computer. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

anon_private

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Thanks for responding.

I think that you are both likely to be right. I may not be able to boot the library pc and run UBUNTU fron the CD drive.

If this is the case, is there anything that I can do with UBUBTU to run it on the library pc. For example, can it be run from the CD by clicking (Windows still running)?

I am keen to find a way of securing the pc so that I can do occasional banking, using other security software in conjuntion with UBANTU.

Any suggestions welcome.

Best wishes

A

Ps. If it can be run with Windows running. will I be any better off im terms of security since Windows is still running?

linux_0

Splendid
If you're running linux inside windows you're history because windows has access to the hardware and it can steal all your stuff. Why don't you get a cheap netbook, put linux on it and put it online with a wired connection?

Some libraries and coffee shops let you plug in, sometimes they'll let you do it for free. Don't use wireless, it's insecure.

Good luck :)

Even if you could boot Linux you'll find that your unlikely to get out of the building. Most libraries run a proxy that requires you to be a domain member to get out of the building. Forget opening the box, it's a criminal charge :-(

I'm guessing that your in the UK for a while and need to manage foreign accounts. If you're at work it might be worth asking, a lot of employers are starting to see the benefit of unlocking it for staff. If you are a student then ask at your Students Union, you might even find that they can hook you up with somebody who will let you use their PC as and when you need to.

Also don't forget that banks tend to also offer telephone, or still in most cases counter service. You can get most things done at the counter that you can on-line. Last option would be to pick up an old Laptop or even Smart Phone. I know it's a hit but if it's only for a while you can look to sell it on after.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Take a look at the link below.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/improving-public-terminal-security.htm

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to run a bootable live operating system, a public terminal basically won't allow their terminals to host a guest OS as this will severely compromise their own security.

There are some very good tips and alot of excellent comments below. One thing that could be added to the thread is the use of a token. Most banks will now issue a token (like a little keychain device with one or two buttons and a small lcd screen) which can generate an additional password that will be needed to access your account. This password is either time limited or one use only.

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but it probably is as close as it gets if your desired method isn't achievable.

Take your pick, criminal damage or missuse of computers act. Neither is likely to be seeing you getting personal with big Bubba but it's enough in this day and age of CRB checks to put a real downer on a teaching career.

unless you have access to the tower and hit the old reset button pop in the live CD and run it. but you still would have to get the network info from the public PCso you can get can actually use the internet with the live CD and i doubt you would get permission to get that info.