Linux and Windows DNS

gc

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Hi-
Does anyone know of a way to get Redhat to register a machine name with an
AD DNS server like Windows clients do? Thanks.

In news:OnYK0IQlEHA.2140@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
GC <gc@gc.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi-
> Does anyone know of a way to get Redhat to register a
> machine name with an AD DNS server like Windows clients
> do? Thanks.

Win2k DHCP can register for clients that don't support Dynamic DNS.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

gc

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

This may be a stupid question, but how do I set that up?

In news:OmPA0oQlEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
GC <gc@gc.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> This may be a stupid question, but how do I set that up?

It is not a stupid question, are you using Win2k DHCP now, or are you using
DHCP on a router?

If you have DHCP on a router you'll need to disable it and configure DHCP on
Win2k, when running the DHCP setup wizard one of the questions will be for a
domain name, this will be used in option 015 and will be the domain
registration takes place in. The DNS server that is used is the DNS servers
listed in TCP/IP properties of the machine DHCP is running on.

TO configure DHCP to register always right click on either the server or
scope in the DHCP console and choose properties. Use the Setting "Always
update DNS" IIRC that should register any client that does not support DDNS.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

gc

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

I'm using Windows DHCP server. I checked off those settings and will see if
it works. Thanks for the help!