Linux Creator Drops F-Bomb on Nvidia, ''Worst Company''

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So he cries that Nvidia doesn't make the same quality drivers for a OS with less than 2% market share compared to windows that enjoy a healthy 90%+ PC market-share. Thought Linus was more down to earth than putting up a finger to a company that have invested much more into Linux compared to what they gained from it.

With a 1:45 ratio, increasing cost to make drivers to Linux due to the increasing fragmentation between the different Distros.

What a shocker nVidia isnt polishing its drivers as much any more, if i were Nvidia it would been time to pull the plug competently after this way of saying thanks for your support!

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]So he cries that Nvidia doesn't make the same quality drivers for a OS with less than 2% market share compared to windows that enjoy a healthy 90%+ PC market-share. Thought Linus was more down to earth than putting up a finger to a company that have invested much more into Linux compared to what they gained from it.With a 1:45 ratio, increasing cost to make drivers to Linux due to the increasing fragmentation between the different Distros.What a shocker nVidia isnt polishing its drivers as much any more, if i were Nvidia it would been time to pull the plug competently after this way of saying thanks for your support![/citation]

You do realize that most servers use some type of linux? I don't know much about that driver situation but I'm sure Tesla gets a healthy dose of driver optimization for linux.

G

It makes sense, ATI and Linux's market share are fairly similar, and their user bases equally deluded.

cloudberry

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]So he cries that Nvidia doesn't make the same quality drivers for a OS with less than 2% market share compared to windows that enjoy a healthy 90%+ PC market-share. Thought Linus was more down to earth than putting up a finger to a company that have invested much more into Linux compared to what they gained from it.With a 1:45 ratio, increasing cost to make drivers to Linux due to the increasing fragmentation between the different Distros.What a shocker nVidia isnt polishing its drivers as much any more, if i were Nvidia it would been time to pull the plug competently after this way of saying thanks for your support![/citation]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a 2% market share still amount to millions of machines using Linux?

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Linux is way more than the 2% that you stated.

Android is linux based, how many android phones are ??
In the university you use linux.
Almost all servers run on linux

Yeah maybe the gaming market is not using linux so that's the reason why Nvidia doesn't develop drivers for them, but linux is way more than that 2% and is growing

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]gilgamex[/nom]You do realize that most servers use some type of linux? I don't know much about that driver situation but I'm sure Tesla gets a healthy dose of driver optimization for linux.[/citation]

The argument about the server share of Linux installs further the argument that they gain less, not that many servers use powerful discrete gfx cards for instance. Working 2d drivers and the server part is mostly set. As for the Tesla range of cards i can imagine that the Cuda/OpenCL drivers have much more shared code base between the os's than the 3d gfx counterparts and thus are easier to maintain.

Get me right i like Linux but i cant for the world understand Mr.Linux's way of thanking nVidia for their work.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
How exactly does a server need incredibly optimized 3d acceleration? Arent most of them headless anyways? And its been a while since I ran any distro, but from what I remember, Nvidia's "closed source" drivers were better than any competitors open-source versions. This is likely just Linus whining (as he usually does) about Nvidia not open-sourcing its drivers like AMD has. Guess what Linus---their Windows drivers arent open-source either. Perhaps they just want to protect proprietary driver technology. Its up to them, you bloated self-righteous gasbag.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

Truth is that nVidia IS making money (or at least trying to) from Linux. Firstly through Android and secondly through Tesla.

They have the full capacity and technical know-how to be very helpful to the linux and android community but they simply can't be arsed.

This whole situation reminds me of my cell phone where nVidia refuses to open-source its Tegra2 drivers. Pretty much the very reason I won't buy another cellphone with Tegra X running inside.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
rantoc
I agree with you about phones, and some servers, but not almost servers are linux. The server market belongs to Windows.
Your linux server are running mostly appliances and some hosting items, But Windows is the top in the server world. Note this just becasue I am stating this dosen't mean I am a big windows fan. I like server 2008R2, It dam good. But my favorit OS is not longer relevent in todays world.
I started out as a admin 15 years ago when Sun Solaris was king. I like Solaris, You want to try something awesome, Look at it.

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Before anyone writes a stupid comment... watch the video please. Or at least the F part. So you will get what he meant. (He is rambling about the Optimus and cell phone chips. The desktop NVidia cards are A+ on Linux, and I guess he knows that. Or not, whatever. Also: His reaction is priceless when the guy stands and tells him he is from NVidia. Like a child who just regret everything he did.)

G

Yep, nvidia has a loyal army of fanboys who will defend them to the death. Just look at the nonsense above. Linus torvolds is a legend in the software world, but wow don't badmouth nvidia. The idiot fanboys will send you to the guillotine.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]velias[/nom]Yep, nvidia has a loyal army of fanboys who will defend them to the death. Just look at the nonsense above. Linus torvolds is a legend in the software world, but wow don't badmouth nvidia. The idiot fanboys will send you to the guillotine.[/citation]

Speak bad about mr/product/legend/whatever xxx and its the guillotine no matter how valid the statements are and what they are about. People always have different perspectives of things and it would seem the maturity level in the debates always drops when its the underdog vs xxx debates.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gilgamex[/nom]You do realize that most servers use some type of linux? I don't know much about that driver situation but I'm sure Tesla gets a healthy dose of driver optimization for linux.[/citation]
Do many servers use Tegra chips?

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
You're missing the point, Linux/Unix is everywhere, way above and beyond what you may recognize as just Ubuntu. The fact that Nvidia produces products supporting and running from the OS, and then doesn't back it up with good drivers leaves many puzzled - here is the main argument with (desktop) market share aside.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I have to say I really hate what nvidia is doing in the android market, marketing Tegra3 as the best ever, and paying off developers to make exclusive stuff for it while other more powerful chips(e.g. exynos quad, qualcomm S4) are left in the cold.
Not to mention the "console quality gaming" bullshit, they've been also saying that for Tegra2 and it turned out to be a very weak SoC.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]You're missing the point, Linux/Unix is everywhere, way above and beyond what you may recognize as just Ubuntu. The fact that Nvidia produces products supporting and running from the OS, and then doesn't back it up with good drivers leaves many puzzled - here is the main argument with (desktop) market share aside.[/citation]
I've read that nVidia's Linux driver, while closed source, are better then AMD's open source drivers. So it seems they do release good drivers and are doing a good job but they are just not open sourcing it and that is where the problem lies. They just get mad they can't modify things on their own and get pissed off at nVidia for it. Not open sourcing drivers is not the same as not backing up Linux with good drivers.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I like nvidia over amd but I will also give nvidia the finger when they screw up (which has been several times now). So I wouldnt call it fanboyism but they are definitely my preferred card. That being said I tried to like linux I really did but I still maintain that they missed the entire concept of an OS from the start.

When you make an OS you need to make it easy for everyone to use instead of harder. One of the reasons people like windows (not because its a paid product like someone said, because they didnt advertise their products till the mid 2000's) is because all they have to do to install something is put in the cd and click install. You can do that when installing linux but if you say download a new driver for your video card you might just have to compile your own driver then go into the command line to install it. I dont know about you but thats just too much work for me.

Look at what happened to apple. 1986 - 2000 their stock was in the toilet averaging somewhere between 10 and 15 dollars. Then they come up with the ipod and all its got a wheel and a center button and its dirt simple to use... and their stock shoots through the roof! Then they develop the touch screen phone (which from what I heard there were other touch screen phones just not available in the US) and the stock shoots higher... Button count? 1! They made using their product dirt simple and their stock value is now hovering around 600bucks and they're the most valuable company in the world thanks to their gadgets that even a sales rep can understand for the most part.

Linux (I have to admit I havent tried ubuntu yet might give that a shot) went the other way and made it harder just to bring unix to the pc. And guess what Linus... no one cares about unix on the pc. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.