Linux Creator Linus Torvalds Declined to Join Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]"In ten years when Apple has collapsed, Linux will still be going as bad as ever..."There, fixed that for you![/citation]
Yeah, I guess Linux will just have to keep limping along, powering the majority of the world's webservers and being the OS of choice for countless computer professionals around the world.

G

If Steve Jobs joined the Linux Foundation, he would've transformed the Linux Foundation into a patent troll.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I wasn't talking about servers or supercomputers (you nimrods!),
that's where Linux and Apple DON'T compete, I was talking about Desktop and Devices, where Linux is far from great (It downright sucks) ... And don't tell me all of you deal with supercomputers everyday you go to work or are server administrators for Linux Web Server Farms for a Fortune 1000 company ....

G

This isn't news, Linus wrote about turning down Jobs in his memoir "Just for Fun" in 2001.

G

And don't tell me all of you deal with supercomputers everyday you go to work or are server administrators for Linux Web Server Farms for a Fortune 1000 company ....

Well...some of us do and some of us are...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
dummy...like it or not Apple is bigger than Microsoft now.... he should have taken the job....I really like the idea that Apple develops it's own hardware, if Microsoft would do the same thing it could overtake Apple again.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]Apple is superior to all Linux, Microsoft, and Google products anyway. They already have the most talented staff in the world, they don't need some loser like this.[/citation]

You do realize that Apple -like Nike- is not actually manufacturing anything ?

They just have a Chinese factory assemble parts made by Korean and Japanese companies.
Apple is basically a Marketing Company; admittedly a pretty successful one at the moment.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tidex[/nom]It's LINUS Torvals[/citation]
Haha, what do you mean? Mr. Linux did not invent the Linus operating system?

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Apple is bigger than Microsoft??? More profitable. yes, bigger. NO.

Market share in any form other than tablet, which will be owned by Android/Linux by the end of next year is not held by Apple at all.

Read a book, learn something , and then have an opinion please. Is Siri feeding you this crap???

G

[citation][nom]cryogenic[/nom]I wasn't talking about servers or supercomputers (you nimrods!), that's where Linux and Apple DON'T compete, I was talking about Desktop and Devices, where Linux is far from great (It downright sucks) ... And don't tell me all of you deal with supercomputers everyday you go to work or are server administrators for Linux Web Server Farms for a Fortune 1000 company ....[/citation]
Are you really that dense? Everything you access online is stored on servers. Guess which OS most of those servers run?

Even when it comes to desktops, there's no praise for Apple because Windows dominates by a large margin.

juan83

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]cryogenic[/nom]"In ten years when Apple has collapsed, Linux will still be going as bad as ever..."There, fixed that for you![/citation]

android is linux.. do you really think linux is a bad OS? billons of people loves android, unless you have an old nokia with symbian.. (another linux distro for phones by the way)..

think again about linux when you use your microwave oven, laundry machine, tv, dvd, gmail, every mail (except for hotmail), millons of websites hosting, and so on..

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Everyone needs to dust off their knees and stop bobbing on Linus'... talent.

Seriously, Linus is to linux users as Steve Jobs was to mac users. It's just one man. He isn't designing every distro all by himself. Hell, I don't even know what the man has really contributed since linux finally took off.

Give some credit to the rest of the community continually working to make linux better and stop worshiping Linus like he's some digital deity.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
They may have some similarities, but Apple is the figurehead of the movement towards closed everything. They want control over all hardware, software and data. Linux is the exact opposite of this. From that perspective there is no way that Linus could work for Apple without selling his soul.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]cryogenic[/nom]I wasn't talking about servers or supercomputers (you nimrods!), that's where Linux and Apple DON'T compete, I was talking about Desktop and Devices, where Linux is far from great (It downright sucks) ... And don't tell me all of you deal with supercomputers everyday you go to work or are server administrators for Linux Web Server Farms for a Fortune 1000 company ....[/citation]
Hate o argue a point here cryo but linux is used on desktops world wide of course not at the level of pc or mac. Yet its mobile portfolio is strong. If your holding a Android phone your using linux code in your hand.

G

@Tab540, indeed, ofcours he declined, this is just a silly article. And if offered now again, he would have a zillion more reasons to decline given the monster Apple became. Not to speak about bad worker conditions, trying to dominate the market etc etc..
I bought the first unibody macbook (late 2008) and loved it. But now I am back at Linux for my day to day work (java development), it feels so open and free and I can install all the tools I need without resorting to using a VM (Websphere, DB2, Oracle etc).
This whole Mac OSX experience is just silly. Good thing I found my way back into linux.

w3k3m

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
The only reason why Linux took hold at all is because it was free. That's great, but there is no single technical merit or innovation in it, we are basically talking about an ancient 1970's style boring clone of UNIX. Architecturally, Linux is a stone-age operating system. From that point of view I find Linus definitely overrated and his remarks often very arrogant.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Apple is all about corporate greed, profit margins, being in total control of their isheep. Linus is all about open source and fostering innovation. Not hard to see why those two never hooked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.