Linux for kids? Efficient Linux printers?

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Hi guys, long time no see lol, I'm basically building this computer for the sake of a music playback, homework assignments, and assorted kid stuff for my younger sisters. I'm buying a barebones kit and skipping out on the buying windows. $99 just for one use is pretty annoying although I could just clone the drive once windows is installed but anyway. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna install Ubuntu or Mint for easy of use but is it easy enough for children between 6 and 13? There was talk about adding a printer so I'm gonna need to find an efficient linux capable printer. Any advice guys?

Solution
My 4 year old gets around in Linux Mint just fine. I showed here where her stuff was (kids games and such) and she gets around on her own now. If they are into technology at all then I think Mint will be easy for them.

Personally I think its harder for people that have been using Windows for years. You always try to do Windows stuff. Kids don't have that.

As far as printers, I have my newer Wireless HP printer working without any hassle. I just added a network printer and Linux did the rest. I would argue that it was easier than doing it in Windows. And I doubt you will have to go find a specific one. If you are in the market for a new printer, then just google it first and see if others have had luck with Linux.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
My 4 year old gets around in Linux Mint just fine. I showed here where her stuff was (kids games and such) and she gets around on her own now. If they are into technology at all then I think Mint will be easy for them.

Personally I think its harder for people that have been using Windows for years. You always try to do Windows stuff. Kids don't have that.

As far as printers, I have my newer Wireless HP printer working without any hassle. I just added a network printer and Linux did the rest. I would argue that it was easier than doing it in Windows. And I doubt you will have to go find a specific one. If you are in the market for a new printer, then just google it first and see if others have had luck with Linux.

Solution

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
I think Ubuntu and Mint will be no problem for the 13 year old. (She will probably be better at it than you within a few weeks!). Your 6 year old may need some help getting started, but there are good educational packages out there such as GCompris that you can easily install in Ubuntu or Mint.

Ubuntu's interface is a bit more like a Mac or tablet, where you launch programs with "buttons". Mint is more like a traditional Windows desktop.

I installed Doudou Linux on an old laptop for my 5 year old. It's basically a minimal kid-centered OS with a variety of kids games and nothing else. It is very kid-friendly and runs easily on the old computer, but it would not have the flexibility to run music or video for your 13 year old.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Thanks for that. People say I try to push the "evil and demanding linux" on them a lot so I was wondering if this would be a good idea. As far as printers go I went through a similar hassle free install with. Simple plug in and installations of the drivers and voila. I'll go a head and order the kit and get most likely the newest mint over the newest ubuntu. But i don't know maybe they'll like unity. Thanks dmroeder!

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Thanks for that Aristotelian. It's really between whether Mint's gnome 2.x(been on Debian since gnome 3 spewed out from somewhere) and Ubuntu's unity interfaces. I've never heard of doudou linux, I may have to test that.

P.S Love the username, Aristotelian philosophy definitely intrigues me.

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

SolusOS http://wiki.solusos.com/index.php/Main_Page

Printer:[/#ff20c00]
Epson http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/Epson/

HP http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Lol I guess I picked the right printer for the job without knowing, I guess hp can't really make crap printers. As for SolusOS I've heard of it but never used it. I'll have to look into it.