News Linux gets its own Blue Screen of Death, and it seems more helpful than the one on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It should be noted that kernel panics are exceedingly rare, in my experience. It's been at least 5 years since the last time I saw one, and I've probably seen only about a half dozen in the past 2 decades.

That said, I don't run either bleeding edge hardware or kernels. I'm sure people who use "rolling release" distros experience a few more problems, but that's the tradeoff vs. not having to do periodic upgrades.

Dec 7, 2023
This is precisely why I moved from an Arch based distro to a Debian based distro (MX Linux). That said I may have to give Mint Debian a try.

Dec 7, 2023
I've been on a rolling release for 4 or so years now and I don't believe I've ever suffered a kernel panic either. Maybe I'll have to force one just to see this mythical screen.

Reactions: bit_user
It should be noted that kernel panics are exceedingly rare, in my experience. It's been at least 5 years since the last time I saw one, and I've probably seen only about a half dozen in the past 2 decades.

That said, I don't run either bleeding edge hardware or kernels. I'm sure people who use "rolling release" distros experience a few more problems, but that's the tradeoff vs. not having to do periodic upgrades.

I have one system that I cannot get it to agree with Linux and it kernel panics at random, some distros more than others, or it just outright freezes, that seems to be way more common than a Kernal panic which isn't helpful either, I've had windows just not agree with some systems either despite it being stable in stress tests, other systems its rare. Some combinations of hardware/software are just more prone to problems. Thats all it comes down to really.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have one system that I cannot get it to agree with Linux and it kernel panics at random, some distros more than others, or it just outright freezes, that seems to be way more common than a Kernal panic which isn't helpful either, I've had windows just not agree with some systems either despite it being stable in stress tests, other systems its rare.
Perhaps it's a hardware problem. It could be anything from bad RAM to a PSU that might not be under-spec'd or have any problems of its own, but does a poor job of absorbing line noise or transients.

Some combinations of hardware/software are just more prone to problems. Thats all it comes down to really.
There are obviously more issues on certain hardware than others, but unless you're on some fairly bleeding-edge or fairly obscure hardware, it's probably not the software that's at fault.

I will caveat that by saying that if it has a Nvidia graphics card, you should really be using the proprietary drivers. Nouveau is virtually unmaintained and the new open source driver isn't quite ready for prime time. However, in just about every other case, the open source drivers are preferable.

wingfinger

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
There was one linux system I was using once that thought it was a good idea to throw a bunch of crap, I mean useful debugging data, into something like UEFI variables. This used up a lot of space and caused a shortage. If you saw this was happening, you could use some commands to delete some of those variables, so you had free space again.

Hopefully, someone has decided that this was not a good idea, to enable for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.