Question Linux GNU GRUB BOOT LOADER Removal

BuffaloWildWingz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017
I was previously duel booting Linux and decided to uninstall it one day. So I deleted the partition and figured that was good enough. When I restarted my laptop I got this black screen that said Linux gnu grub. I figured out how to load into windows 10 by typing “exit” and then selecting windows 10 boot loader. Ive tried reinstalling windows 10 but that didnt work at all. Is there anyway I can get rid of GNU GRUB.

The text says

GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta3-4ubuntu2.2

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions

grub> _

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
No, but what my theory is that the boot loader is actually installed on my windows 10 partition instead of the linux one that i deleted

The GRUB would usually reside in the system partition which is usually drive C: or in more Linux-relevant terms 'sda'.

You say you don't get the GRUB rescue error I said earlier. There's a way when you get that error and that usually happens when you delete the Linux (Ubuntu here) partition on a dual boot machine.

I'm not 100% this would help but it's likely to resolve that but do it at your own risk. The risk being you might need your Windows installation/repair media handy to repair boot records if this somehow goes south. It shouldn't really come to that but I'd get a backup of important data especially from the system drive/C.

Here goes:

You can try booting with Ubuntu USB or disc (change boot order in BIOS). PC/Laptop should be connected to internet.

Then when it boots see if you can use “Try Ubuntu without Installing” option. When Ubuntu loads open Terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T.

Type "sudo apt-get install lilo" and press enter. This will try to download package and in the next dialogue for permission press enter.

When it finishes with the package; type this command "sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr" and hit enter. This command will automatically create a backup of the current configuration in a boot backup folder within the HDD.

If all is successfully done then a successful completion message will be shown in the terminal; something like “The Master Boot Record of /dev/sda updated”.

You can now try removing the USB/Disc, change boot order back to where Windows lives and boot. Windows would/should boot normally.

I almost forgot about LiLo....
Now, I'm wondering if booting the system from a windows installation DVD or USB Flash drive, would lead to an installation option that would restore boot and chaining to the windows loader....where one might stop the process before the entire system installation is over-written?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
OP mentioned already installed Windows again. Although this is not quite the same as an installation I think that might bork the Windows installation and warrant a repair or even a reinstall. Whereas the lilo path is normally quite harmless unless something goes wrong or there's a power but etc.

I was trying to make a point being caution must be exercised when working with boot record/files.

I have used this lilo thing to get rid of the GRUB nuisance once or twice after an Ubuntu partition was deleted and it worked. I don't think this would affect the process as it being a part of Ubuntu and not really affecting Windows boot but I think both times where on dual boot with Windows 7 not 10.

Again OP; try this at your own risk.