Linux Kernel 3.3 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just updated my Lubuntu kernel and my Intel i3 Vostro laptop appears to be using about 20 percent less power compared to the 3.1 kernel I previously had (according to "powertop"). The kernel seems to be more stable on my system than the 3,1 kernel so far. This is a good article, I didn't realize that the kernel just can out, I though it was still in the rc stages. Thanks for the article.

whimseh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i´ve never used linux anyone that has use it want to give a few reasons of why its better than windows?[/citation]

It isn't better than Windows... at all. It's good for servers but I can't see why anyone would use it as a daily operating system.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
@ frozonic Don't think of it as one is better than the other. They all have their strengths and weakness. Win, Mac, Unix, Linux, iOS, Android, and ChromeOS all have thier tradeoffs.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i´ve never used linux anyone that has use it want to give a few reasons of why its better than windows?[/citation]
You will never get a consensus with that answer.

Both OSes have their strong points. Why not install it on a virtual machine and test a distribution like Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora,... and formulate you own opinion.

I do give you recommendation, and that is patience. A lot a things work differently from Windows, so it might take some time to get used to.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

"better" is relative. While I believe the difference between Linux and Windows for daily casual computing (word processing youtubing etc) is nonexistent. But i suggest you try out a distro like mint if you are interested getting into linux.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]@ frozonic Don't think of it as one is better than the other. They all have their strengths and weakness. Win, Mac, Unix, Linux, iOS, Android, and ChromeOS all have thier tradeoffs.[/citation]

All those you mentioned except win are unix based you noob.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]wiinippongamer[/nom]All those you mentioned except win are unix based you noob.[/citation]
No, Linux is not Unix-based. It was written to be compatible with Unix, but is not based on it. Windows NT, which is the basis for all Windows versions since Windows 2000 (to be clear, excluding ME), were, as far as I know, Unix-based. iOS is probably (as in I haven't investigated) is probably Mac-based, hence Unix-based via BSD. Android and ChomeOS are both Linux (no, they are not just Linux-based, they are Linux [they use the Linux kernel]).

Well, as others have said, differences are relative. Windows is better for games, but only because it is the only OS that the majority of PC games can be played on. The only major difference between Linux and Windows for casual use is that M$ doesn't have a Linux version of Office, you don't have IE, and there can be difficulties on Linux because of software patents on audio or video codecs (or the likes of CSS for DVDs). But Linux is free, has easy access to lots of free software, no-one can be bothered to write viruses for it (not that they would have an easy time anyway), and can have several advantages in specific situations. I think that the best way to try Linux is to use a LiveCD/DVD/USB rather than a virtual machine, and I would suggest trying a KDE-based distro such as openSUSE rather than some others.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

Thank you. I was wondering how long it would be before someone pointed that out. I listed them according to how consumers perceive them. But for that matter Mac is not Unix based but MacOSX is. :pfff:

It use to have more advantages over windows than it does now. It use to have a very clean UI, which has now been cluttered in most versions. It use to be the only thing with free AV editing software, but now Windows and Mac both have editing softwares. It use to be great for tinkering with to get your computer to do things it otherwise would not be able to do... but now it is so easy to develop on Windows that there is little point. It also use to be clunkey and hard to use for every-day stuff... but now they have largely fixed that in most distros
It does still win on 3 key fronts: 1) most distros are free, which is important when you have a lot of computers that you would have to purchase windows for. 2) It is secure beyond belief. While the programs that run on top of linux can be hacked or damaged, there is little to no fear of your kernal being compromised (unless you have an easy password to crack), so it is great for things where you are not sure what you are getting yourself into. 3) It has pro level networking options and makes great low-overhead servers.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

DO YOU LIKE *FREE*??

Linux is free.

It's worthless for video games though.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jeffunit[/nom]Ever used android? It runs on most cell phones. It is linux.[/citation]It uses the Linux kernel, making it Linux-based. But the rest of the software stack is Google. Everything you run on it has to be built for Android libraries/runtime.

Hypertraxx

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
pfff none of my hardware works on linuxx :p, its kinda fun os to experiment with. but its not an serious os. at least i can't take it serious.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
It isn't better than Windows for a home user. Only scenarios where Linux isn't a massive pain in the ass to use is as a set-and-forget standalone server that won't network with Windows boxes. Or put it in a virtual box which is what I do when I need to run some CERN stuff that's unix based.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Hypertraxx[/nom]pfff none of my hardware works on linuxx , its kinda fun os to experiment with. but its not an serious os. at least i can't take it serious.[/citation]

Wonder what kind of hardware you have... I have a rather high-end machine and everything is supported (kind of). I can't take Linux serious until I open the terminal... then I can't take Windows seriously. It's all about what you do. I love both OSs and use both daily.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Are you a gamer? Do you HAVE to have MS Office? Answer No to both of those and you might be able to get by on a Mac or with Linux on your PC. With Linux though, the GUI is pretty different and you're able to do more things with commands, much like the MS DOS days. It has the best of both worlds.

For your Windows applications, SOME of them work in Linux with WineHQ Google it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Anyway, I'd like to see kernel 3.4 ASAP, it's supposed to fix power issues with Android x86; the damn thing only gives me 30-90 min of battery life on my netbook (4-5 hours on Windows/Ubuntu 11.04).

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
The only things that Linux needs to be absolutely better than Windows is more support from hardware manufacturers and games.

That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.