[SOLVED] linux kubuntu network routing to other ip range

dradenpoel

Commendable
Mar 17, 2021
www.ikbenben.be
Hey all,

Not sure if I am posting in the right place, seems the most fitting from what I found.

I have a modem in my home network, to which a router is connected, to the router I have connected a server.
From my wired devices (connected to the router) I can access the server share that I have set up.

My laptop now and then connects to the wifi network provided by the modem, when the one provided by the router is too weak.
How can I make it so that I can connect to the server share from my laptop when the share is on another ip range?

I tried adding a route to the iprange using ip route add, that didn't seem to make the connection.

Help and tips are welcome

Solution
Just set your second router as an access point (AP Mode). If it does not have this as standard option:
  • connect second router using LAN port, not WAN;
  • assign a static IP address on the second router from main router' range;
  • disable DHCP in the second router;
It does not work that way. Once you're connected to a network outside of your router, you're considered "Internet", and your router won't simply allow connection to your LAN side.

Also - your network setup is strange. If what you call "Modem" also provides WiFi, then it is router (gateway) by itself, why you've installed second router behind it?

dradenpoel

Commendable
Mar 17, 2021
www.ikbenben.be
It does not work that way. Once you're connected to a network outside of your router, you're considered "Internet", and your router won't simply allow connection to your LAN side.

Also - your network setup is strange. If what you call "Modem" also provides WiFi, then it is router (gateway) by itself, why you've installed second router behind it?

The modem indeed also is a router, it's the one provided by my ISP.
Installed a second one after it to have more wifi coverage in the back of the house, and to be "further away" from the internet.

So, I'd have to set up a vpn between my 2 LANs