Linux Now Has "Double" the Market Share of Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjcox

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
What you mean by "big companies won't risk their business" to Linux is that you're talking about companies other than IBM, HP, AT&T, Verizon, and such... right? And of course, you're not talking about the US Gov't either...

I'd think your company list might be small.... can you provide some examples of these companies that don't use Linux in some way today?

JonathanR

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
[citation][nom]GNCD[/nom]Uhmmm, no they won't. Linux is community supported and big companies won't risk their business by using community supported software/OS or whatever. Sorry.[/citation]

Of course not! Obviously they will trust an OS they have no idea whats going on inside of, because thats not a security risk at all! Only small companies like would openly get rid of their windows machines!

Oh wait....

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Digging up old articles eh. While its true but its like saying No one is using chromeOS because its a POS garbage. However though I see how Google Chrome is now a metro style. How about Android gets all patched up with the latest "security" threats. Can't wait for the new Blackberry 10. Android blows.

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]GNCD[/nom]Uhmmm, no they won't. Linux is community supported and big companies won't risk their business by using community supported software/OS or whatever. Sorry.[/citation]

you seem to have no idea what you are talking about. Ever heard of Red Hat?

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Funny how linuxites such as myself have been crying for the "year of the linux" for some time, only to completely miss it when it comes. The year of the linux computer happened awhile ago with the introduction of AndroidOS. Linux has already won.

geost91gr

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Much of those projections are based on crystal ball evaluations

More likely than actual research. By the way, Goldman Sachs should get back to gold-plating their stuff and leave the IT market surveys to someone who has an actual understanding of it.

iniudan

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

I think someone never heard of:

-IBM (Linux been one of the many OS they have available);
-Red Hat (they are the biggest company entirely based around Linux);
-Novell (SUSE Linux);
-Citrix;
-VMware (their ESX server is build on Linux kernel, but oddly enough vmsphere client is not available on Linux)
-Oracle (in their case Linux cover the lower end, for high end they use Solaris[main reason been ZFS, which is one of the best file system available);
-Google (Android, along using their own remix of Ubuntu for their in-house OS)
-Samsung (everything they offer, that require an OS, outside of phone and PC is based on Linux)

If you use networking equipment (router, switch...) is also most likely working on Linux or Unix.

IT companies are not what GNCD is talking about. Corporate Enterprise markets, banks and their like spend a ridiculous amount of money on IT. Specifically they spend more on software / licensing then they do on hardware and they do it for a very good reason. Inside those licensing and support agreements are legal clause's that make the provider responsible for damages should their product fail.

A company won't "switch to Community Linux" because the "community" can not be held legally accountable for failures / bugs in the software that could result in millions of USD in damages. Instead company's contract out specific solutions from venders and those venders are then responsible for those bugs. Thus a company will use RHEL but only because Red Hat is offering 24/7 support with the option to send a technician directly to the site. In that circumstance RH is legally obligated to solve their customers problem within a specific time frame which is itself negotiated in the Service Level Agreement (for your ITIL folks).

-IBM (Linux been one of the many OS they have available);
-Red Hat (they are the biggest company entirely based around Linux);
-Novell (SUSE Linux);
-Citrix;
-VMware (their ESX server is build on Linux kernel, but oddly enough vmsphere client is not available on Linux)
-Oracle (in their case Linux cover the lower end, for high end they use Solaris[main reason been ZFS, which is one of the best file system available);
-Google (Android, along using their own remix of Ubuntu for their in-house OS)
-Samsung (everything they offer, that require an OS, outside of phone and PC is based on Linux)

None of these product Enterprise "Linux" instead they provide "Solutions". Those solutions cost a lot of money, much more then MS charges (for the support). Their products tend to be more flexible through.

And before people jump on me, I'm a proud supporter of Linux based solutions. I just wish people would understand that Corporate markets work differently then your home. HW costs are trivial when compared to license costs which themselves are trivial when compared to the monster that is support agreements. CIO's don't sleep soundly unless they know their protected by iron clad support agreements.

gshauger

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
[citation][nom]wozza365[/nom]linux will only get bigger, it now has a lot of things going for it in the desktop space especially with Valve behind linux[/citation]

Valve is porting every Windows game to Linux? Didn't think so.

iniudan

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
[citation][nom]gshauger[/nom]Valve is porting every Windows game to Linux? Didn't think so.[/citation]

They, at least, already have more game available for Linux, then release title any console has got to this day and we are still just in beta.

Also DOS based games want to some words with you, they don't remember Microsoft porting the capability to run them, when they switched fully to NT based OS.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
ignorant comment

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]marcolorenzo[/nom]yeeaahhh...combining the mobile platform market with the standard PC/Mac market...that's really fair.[/citation] actually it's quite fair. Meet people are using tablets and phones for the computing needs. The desktop computer is becoming more irreverent. Even my girlfriend use her phone to use the Internet most of the time. Even thou I have an iPad and windows desktop and notebooks available. People ARE using these mobile devices as their min computer.... we can do everything on them thats we could on our desktop from 10 years ago and more... this response is from my phone.

przemoli

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Those solutions cost a lot of money, much more then MS charges (for the support).

ROTFL

First you claim that Enterprise spend lots of cash on software, then you point out that Linux disadvantage is its price for support which is bigger than Win support.

Ever used such "support"?

Btw. TCO is what rock and roll, and you have not mentioned that. Hence I hardly can believe that you work in enterprise part of market.

Anyway that statistics ARE ABOUT CONSUMER Linux, and CONSUMER Windows, and CONSUMER iOS/OSX, etc..

Let me get this straight: Windows OS has 92 % of the PC market, and 20 % of all platforms, and they made a windows 8 that is specificly NOT for PCS?

Wow, that company has a brilliant bussines plan.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]... I just wish people would understand that Corporate markets work differently then your home....[/citation]

I hope exactly the same from M$.
WTF they where thinking when put the Metro UI in the face of Command line lovers?

M$ have lost touch whit the user base.Windows Phone is going nowhere and now windows 2012 server put a lot of crap between the administrator and the hardware.BAD idea.

Kinda sad because back in the days; server 2k3 was essentially everywhere and now 2013 will put M$ share % into the single digit.

dosmastr

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
I smell poo. in 2005 we had apple pop up (ok thats believable) but the same year we also had "Other" go from 0 to 29% ? It reeks of "in 2005 we quietly changed what we decided to count but pretended it stayed an apples to apples comparison.

ozymankos

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Well,first of all this statistic is only about operating systems
People use applications;to talk about your favourite OS is like talking about the colour of the handle of your favourite knife:)
Secondly,the projections from 2011 onward are unrealistic to say the least
if the market has diversified from one vendor to 3 that tendency will continue
the market share of Others will increase in time and more major players will appear

genz

Distinguished
What's up with 2005? Apple jumped to 21% and "other" to 29%. I'm guessing it was due to how they were measuring things or something. It looks weird. I would have expected a jump in Apple OS usage around the iPhone release, not two years prior.
Aside from emerging markets and kids "coming of age", if you haven't got an iPhone now you probably aren't in the market for one, just like it has been for Windows for eons. This just creates a very slow and steady growth pattern. The last spurt that bucked the trend (two years prior) was in relation to the reduction in prices allowing people who thought it was too expensive to star buying them.iPhone 5 was also a flop from a value perspective when compared to other iPhones and thus sore only average sales increases (off the back of part of Apples fashion appeal requiring that you have the latest one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS