Linux Receives 20th Birthday Video from Microsoft

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So what's going to happen now? Will Gates geld Torvalds? Will Torvalds castrate Gates?

G

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

aww

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]interjecting[/nom]I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.[/citation]

...and your point is... What exactly.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
[citation][nom]interjecting[/nom]I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.[/citation]

Thanks for the lecture captain obvious

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]linux can do everything microsoft can do [/citation]

Except load steam to allow me to play any of my games. Thats why I still have a windows and linux CPU.

G

in the early days microsoft had a very agressive marketing scheme ,destroy your rivals before they expand, they closed,bankrupt and sued the major threats in the market so they remain the giants and retain the monopol, why u tink CEO Steve Ballmer, called Linux a cancer in 2001, few companies got part of love from microsoft thats all

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]arlandi[/nom]now it would be wonderful if this happens to all the Fanboys/fangirls out there.imagine a world where Windows and Linux and Apple and Other OS live together in harmony.You may say that I'm a dreamerBut I'm not the only oneI hope someday you'll join usAnd the world will live as one[/citation]

Dont say that too loud. We all know what happens to dreamers

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

You just now figuring this out?

crmcguire

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Linus himself slaps back to the year 2001

Linus Torvalds has said in the documentary Revolution OS, when asked if the name GNU/Linux was justified:

Well, I think it's justified, but it's justified if you actually make a GNU distribution of Linux ... the same way that I think that "Red Hat Linux" is fine, or "SuSE Linux" or "Debian Linux", because if you actually make your own distribution of Linux, you get to name the thing, but calling Linux in general "GNU Linux" I think is just ridiculous.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]Except load steam to allow me to play any of my games. Thats why I still have a windows and linux CPU.[/citation]

again, blame microsoft and their opengl fud. because of that directx became what everyone used, when they were shifting to opengl. if opengl were still used in games today, even macs would be a viable gaming platform.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they did the same crap to opengl, but gl was better for a LONG LONG time.[/citation]OpenGL lost because MS steadily advanced DirectX and eventually overtook them. Khronos got complacent and fell behind. OpenCL, on the other hand, looks pretty decent at the moment.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]OpenGL lost because MS steadily advanced DirectX and eventually overtook them. Khronos got complacent and fell behind. OpenCL, on the other hand, looks pretty decent at the moment.[/citation]

opengl was going strong, than microsoft came out and did a fud attack (Fear, uncertainty and doubt) and got everyone to focus more on direct x even though opengl was FAR more stable back than and FAR better at handling graphics, Nerf Arena Blast is one that comes to mind, where direct x ran and looked worse.

in fact up until dx11 opengl was STILL superior to dx, though with 11, i don't know what it did that gl cant or wont.

read up a bit on what microsoft did. if they didnt, gameing would be on every platform, unlike just windows today (with exceptions)

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]On Linux you can rename files with *, ?, " characters, don't have to worry about fragmentation and you don't need an antivirus to slow you down. If you try to delete a file while it's in use, you don't get that stupid error that "the file is being used by another person or program" crap. You can even delete a movie while you watch it, and it will run fine until you close the media player ![/citation]

As a fellow Linux user, I will say that putting wildcard characters in a file name is a recipe for disaster, you most certainly DO need to worry about fragmentation - ext4 and NTFS allocate space with totally opposite methods, so each's strength is the other's weakness and they fragment under opposite usage scenarios, and you will need antivirus software if Linux becomes more popular. As is, you're probably going to want at least something like AppArmor or SELinux. Search youtube for examples of Linux keyloggers that can run without root permission or check out kon-boot to get root access to a Linux (or Windows) machine you have physical access to. I'd also certainly want to be WARNED if I'm attempting to delete a file I may really need (because it's in use). There's a lot of reasons to try Linux, but these would never have convinced me.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]Except load steam to allow me to play any of my games. Thats why I still have a windows and linux CPU.[/citation]
Actually Steam does run on Linux. Through Wine. But the games themselves are a totally different thing. Steam is just a front-end GUI, a download manager if you will... So you'd have to check the Wine compatibility list for that. I can speak from personal experience that HL and HL mods (like Counter-Strike 1.6, etc.) work just fine under Wine, through Steam. Doom 3 has a Linux port, so, in theory, Quake 4, Prey (and maybe more) should work, given that they're based on the same engine.

[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]People can say what they want, but Microsoft today is not the Microsoft of old.[/citation]
THIS is the Microsoft of today: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2009/02/The-5-Windows-7-flavors-explained-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.