Linux Ubuntu 18.04 dual monitors

Aug 18, 2018
I have a Gigabyte H310M DS2 mother board with a MSI Geforce GT710 2gb graphics card. One Samsung 24" monitor is connected to the HDMI output of the graphics card. A second 21" Samsung monitor is connected to the motherboard VGA output. I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04. Everything worked fine for 2 days. Whats happening now is when I boot up I get the boot screen on the 24" monitor and I briefly get the Ubuntu logo on the 21" monitor, thereafter only the 24" monitor works. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem is? The 24" is the primary screen and the 21" extended.

I re-installed Ubuntu 18.04. Everything works fine except for the position of the monitors. I setup the 19.5" monitor to be on the left and the 24" on the right. This works fine until I re-boot. The position of the monitors are then swapped. The changes which I make are not permanent. I am using the Nvidia drivers and not X-org.

Does the card have more outputs? normally you would run them all off the same gpu. the motherboard ones are using the igpu on the cpu. the others are using the card. I think it would run stable if you used both from the same. intel 300 series is more than capable of running multiple monitors if the mobo has more outputs. you don't need the graphics card, unless you are running some 3D games it may help.

edit: the dvi on the mobo can be ran to the HDMI with an adapter (monitor speakers won't work)