News Liquid-cooled RTX 4090 Suprim Fuzion Frankencard crams tubes and radiator into its monstrous 4.5-slot form factor

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
...I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this card?

A traditional AIO loop lets you move the weight and bulk of the fins off of the CPU/GPU itself, so that you can achieve more surface area and a more dispersed layout than would otherwise be possible, with the added bonus of thermal mass to soak up small spikes in temp without the fans needing to spin up. But if you insist on putting the whole loop on a GPU, now you've got the exact same amount of space and weight available to design within as a air-cooled card but also have to house a pump, and the smaller loop means less thermal mass to soak up spikes versus a larger system.

Pumped liquid might be able to distribute the heat more evenly and get it out to the edges of the fins so you can use your surface area more effectively... but it seems like a weird intermediate step to add all that cost and mechanical complexity then limit yourself to a radiator that can fit on a PCIe card.

Reactions: artk2219

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
My Silverstone SG13 only has 2 slots, but the case has room for up to 2.5 slot cards.
I'm sure there are other cases that have a similar dead space at the furthest slot.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
I'm surprised another company revisited the idea. ASUS did a similar setup with the MATRIX 2090, and it performed slightly better than other similar 3-fan cooler equivalents, mainly due to the increased time it took to thermally saturate liquid. Of course, ASUS then gave up on the concept and just went with a fancy AIO design with the 4090 MATRIX.

I'm curious as to how well this one would perform relative to the competition given its girth.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel it’s a card that nobody will buy.
1. It’s way too late in the cycle for people to pay this much,
2. There is barely any benefit to the liquid cooling here since it can neither pull in fresh air, nor expel hot air in and out the case. Essentially the design negates the benefit of having a separate radiator,
3. I am not sure if this is heavier than the usual air cooled RTX 4090, which increases the risk of PCB cracking,
4. It’s a RTX 4090 where they blaming users for melting connectors and voiding warranty. So this costly card will become a paper weight if it melts and you can’t get them to replace or repair it, and,
5. I don’t know who is the target market here. I guess only people with deep pockets or hardware enthusiasts will buy a RTX 4090. But won’t they get one with custom liquid cooling solution instead of the half baked cooling solution?

Jul 7, 2022
I feel it’s a card that nobody will buy.
1. It’s way too late in the cycle for people to pay this much,
2. There is barely any benefit to the liquid cooling here since it can neither pull in fresh air, nor expel hot air in and out the case. Essentially the design negates the benefit of having a separate radiator,
3. I am not sure if this is heavier than the usual air cooled RTX 4090, which increases the risk of PCB cracking,
4. It’s a RTX 4090 where they blaming users for melting connectors and voiding warranty. So this costly card will become a paper weight if it melts and you can’t get them to replace or repair it, and,
5. I don’t know who is the target market here. I guess only people with deep pockets or hardware enthusiasts will buy a RTX 4090. But won’t they get one with custom liquid cooling solution instead of the half baked cooling solution?
For #5: I am also perplexed as to the target audience. For example, an all-in-one “shelled” liquid cooling solution would be perfect to have for a mini or micro-atx build…however, the 4.5 slot height makes this a non-starter.
All I am left with thinking is that perhaps this is for people who want that advertised 15% improved cooling, while dealing with all the hot case air drawbacks of a regular air cooled version, but do not have existing mounting locations that are free to mount a separate radiator. Except this also doesn’t make sense because anyone that can afford to buy an almost last gen flagship surely would have enough money will have the will to make zero compromises and purchase a new case to make a gpu radiator fit. So I guess the TLDR of my comment is this: There is no target audience and these will be the last of the 4090’s sold once the 5090 is released. Who knows, maybe someone will get this card for a good price as “New Old Stock” in a year lol