papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
I have a slight space issue with my current setup, which is:

Motherboard: MSI Intel Z270 Xpower Gaming Titanium
CPU: i7 7700K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S

My problem is that the Noctua (which is great at its job) is massive, and I've had to turn it 90 degrees clockwise for it to fit, as the normal layout made contact with the GPU (installed in the top PCIE slot as it is the only 16x one). Now the fan faces the GPU and blows upward. That works fine.

Problem solved? Not quite, the radiator now covers the first ram slot which means I can go all out on it. It's also an issue for cable management having to loop around it (I'm in the process of getting more cables).

Ultimately, I want the rig to look tidy, and the huge (yet great) fan is an issue for that. I've read that liquid cooling is the best way to reclaim space and keep the cooling power, but many reviews of these AIO liquid coolers are littered with negative comments about pumps failing etc.

Would you recommend an AIO liquid cooling solution which is not only good at it's job but also very reliable?

I'm open to your suggestions / advice / recommendations. Thanks!

Solution
Technically the most effective water coolers will always be home built ones effectively, but these can also have the highest failures.
Failing pumps etc is what inherently comes with a water cooling system, it's only as good as how you maintain it, the problem is so many people just plug in water cooling and forget that moving parts need maintenance ultimately. As long as you keep on top of it, and the product is not defective, it will serve you well.

The typical AIO I recommend for value for performance would be a Corsair H100i V2. Excellent cooling power, little bit pricey but great piece of kit in my opinion. as is the NZXT KRAKEN X61.

However please do look at this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-cpu-coolers,review-33267-2.html

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Technically the most effective water coolers will always be home built ones effectively, but these can also have the highest failures.
Failing pumps etc is what inherently comes with a water cooling system, it's only as good as how you maintain it, the problem is so many people just plug in water cooling and forget that moving parts need maintenance ultimately. As long as you keep on top of it, and the product is not defective, it will serve you well.

The typical AIO I recommend for value for performance would be a Corsair H100i V2. Excellent cooling power, little bit pricey but great piece of kit in my opinion. as is the NZXT KRAKEN X61.

However please do look at this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-cpu-coolers,review-33267-2.html

Solution

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017

Thanks for that! I was looking at both of those actually, or even the H110/115 from Corsair.

When you say maintenance for moving parts, what does that entail more precisely, and with what sort of frequency?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well I will admit I misspoke SLIGHTLY. It's more open loop coolers that require detailed maintenance.

All in one closed loops generally just require you to clean out dust regularly from the radiator and fans and just ensure that all connections are secure. It's closed, so you can't get to the pump. Which is why a well reviewed AIO is recommended. Effectively just keep it clean regularly and make sure nothing is defective (no leaks spring) which rarely happens with a good AIO.

Open loop are a different story, but you're asking about AIO

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017

Ah I see!

Brilliant, thanks for the advice, I will look at the Corsair and the NZXT in more detail and make a decision!