[SOLVED] Liquid cooling fizzy bubbles

Jun 18, 2020
Hey all, I might already have an idea of what to do but wanted to get a second opinion who might know better... I tilted around and upside down and shook my system around after adding some new coolant and found out I have a rather large buildup line of fizzy looking bubbles in two specific spots in my flow after doing so. I’ve tried squeezing the tubes a bit while on and shaking a little and letting system run for days with the res cap off and the fizzy bubbles stay. One thing I do notice is when my pc is powered off for awhile, the fizzy bubble lines go away and form just a big air pocket in a part of the tubing until I turn my pc on again then it goes back to fizzy bubbling. This pretty much only started happening when I turned my pc upside down and around and shaking it trying to get any other air bubbles that might have been stuck out. I think what might have happened is the empty space in the res, when I turned my pc upside down, created a bubble somewhere in my flow, and ended up staying there. But I can’t be too sure... anyone have any ideas for a best fix?

Solution
This is normal and could mean that there was originally a lot more air in your cooling loop than you realized, most likely trapped in radiators.

I think what might have happened is the empty space in the res, when I turned my pc upside down, created a bubble somewhere in my flow, and ended up staying there

Very likely what happened - you introduced the large air bubble from your reservoir back into the cooling loop where it got trapped.

One way to help prevent this (or correct this) is to top off your reservoir as much as possible( leaving only a small amount of air headspace), but leave it vented a bit while the pump is running. Make sure you are not tipping while the reservoir is vented - you'll spill coolant. Venting...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This is normal and could mean that there was originally a lot more air in your cooling loop than you realized, most likely trapped in radiators.

I think what might have happened is the empty space in the res, when I turned my pc upside down, created a bubble somewhere in my flow, and ended up staying there

Very likely what happened - you introduced the large air bubble from your reservoir back into the cooling loop where it got trapped.

One way to help prevent this (or correct this) is to top off your reservoir as much as possible( leaving only a small amount of air headspace), but leave it vented a bit while the pump is running. Make sure you are not tipping while the reservoir is vented - you'll spill coolant. Venting allows for the pump to more effectively displace air pockets because there is not an equalization of pressure keeping air in-place in the loop and should allow it to more easily flow to the reservoir during operation.

Allow this to occur, top off the reservoir again, seal the cap on the reservoir and go through the tilting process a couple times. Vent the reservoir cap again to allow air to collect in the reservoir and top off coolant. Repeat these steps until bubbles are gone.

You can either vent the reservoir with the system running or turn off to make sure you do not damage anything (fan blades, coolant spills, etc). Probably recommended to turn off/unplug for first-timers for each open/close of the reservoir vent until you become comfortable.

Solution