Liquid Nitrogen, CPU Solder and High Voltage: How I Set Overclocking Records

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Looking forward to more in this series...would also be very cool to see other 'how to' types of articles from case modders, liquid cooling, custom lighting and CNC/manufacturing for DIY PC cases.

WildCard999

Titan
"Let's start with the most obvious. Manufacturers use overclocking to “flex” on each other. World records in overclocking are taken seriously and these companies spend mega bucks on making sure they are on top. The fact that the ASRock OC Formula is literally built to be capable of LN2 overclocking 1000 watts worth of processor first and everything else second shows the importance of overclocking to these companies."

Can we assume that being a top overclocker that some of these companies gift you parts?

Good article!

Hey Splave,

Have to say, I love this article. What a world away from some of the more mundane articles (although I do appreciate all of Tom's efforts).

Your introduction was brilliant. Got me laughing, excited, and very much looking forward to reading the rest of the article and whatever else is to come down the line.

Love the AMD cooler (just for the heck of it) and that it did a job on an 18 core Intel CPU. WTF!!! Seriously.

As an almost lay person in OC'ing in comparison, I do love reading about pushing things further, as in higher/extreme OC'ing. So am jotting down notes to think about.

As a matter of interest, why Win 7 as the test bed OS?

Great job, I can't wait to read more. Ge the next one up and at it, asap! :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
As a matter of interest, why Win 7 as the test bed OS?
I would assume the amount of OS features that can be easily disabled for minimal overhead to dedicate processing power to benchmarks. I feel like WinXP was the previous OS of choice not even that long ago.

However, if not, also quite curious.

Ah, yeah, maybe that's it! Good point.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It's the only thing I could think of, and I recall reading a similar LN2 article several years ago where they used a specific OS image for all participants for a competition and it was specifically setup to limit the number of services Windows ran while still allowing the rig to effectively run CPU and GPU benchmarks. The more power you can divert to the benchmarks instead of say, a network driver or IIS service, the better.

splave

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 4, 2019

Yes I do get some goodies :D but not as much as one might think.

Yeah, i see what you mean. Makes sense.

I'm curious because I'm wondering if the task scheduler in Win 10 is a hindrance to OC'ing and if it causes crashes or performance hits when trying to extreme OC.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Those Cinebench results are unbelievable. Reminds of the old days when we'd see giant performance leaps gen to gen because of clock speed gains, which have become increasingly rare. Lots of people want to minimize the importance of frequency, but everything including IPC happens in a given cycle. And most software can't really take full advantage of all IPC features or multi-core. But everything gets benefits from clock speed. I love clock speed.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
What is unbelievable about those Cinebench results is the fact that the 'CB Score' nearly precisely matches the MHz used to achieve that score to within 0.25%.

Obviously the score only needed to match using the AMD cooler to have a reasonable chance of scaling with higher clocks, but still amusing.

Sep 19, 2018
Thanks for the article Splave. Very interesting.
Do you have any recommendation article or guide for non extreme overclocking?

Jan 9, 2019
Great article from the number #1 overclocker! Goes straight to what we want to see! GJ Alan. Can't wait to see what comes next. Thank you Tom's Hardware for choosing the best to write those articles. Enthusiasts couldn't be happier. Keep up the good work.

margrave

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
Manufacturers' products are influenced by overclocking records? Nonsense.

Their profits come from OEM purchases ... and few OEM products are overclocked.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would debate that many of the power delivery and features on lower-end components come from higher-end testing and marketing in series before them. Much like how most commercially available cars get features and standard equipment that filters down from flagship/premium model lines and even before that, racing.