[SOLVED] Liquid residue water block

Henry97

Reputable
May 9, 2016
Hi,
I've made a thread in another place about this, but as I only got 1 answer I would be thankful if I could get a second opinion about it.

I have a ekwb classic am4 waterblock paired with a ryzen 3600 and although the loop doesn't appear to present any leaks, the cpu waterblock always had this weird liquid residue pattern around the center piece of the block. (image below)

The temps are usually in the 35-50 ºC idle/low consumption and goes up to 73ºC when gaming. I expected more from this water block but since it never got worst temps than that, I admitted there was no problem with it. I've already re-applied thermal paste three times (thermal grizzly). The gpu temp (1080ti) never goes above 45ºC with the same thermal paste applied.

I've been loosing liquid at a really slow rate in the last few weeks, but I believe it might have been due to evaporation through the soft tubing and due to the rising temperature in my country. It appears to have stopped by now.

Is this pattern normal?
Does it affect performance?
Is there any way I can remove it?

Thanks

3er7b0hji2351.jpg

Solution
Is it possible to give us a breakdown of your entire build and the watercooling hardware? The thing that I think I'm looking at seems to remind me of stress fractures(internally at least) which can happen with too hot a side on an acrylic surface or undue mounting force is applied, to cause a bow/warp.

You could prove my theory right or wrong, by tearing down the loop, extracting the CPU waterblock and disassembling the block till you get to the acrylic top. If the cracks are there and it's not particulate clogging the restrictive end of the block, then yes that's stress fracture.

Where are you located and what are your ambient room air temps?

Lutfij

Titan
Is it possible to give us a breakdown of your entire build and the watercooling hardware? The thing that I think I'm looking at seems to remind me of stress fractures(internally at least) which can happen with too hot a side on an acrylic surface or undue mounting force is applied, to cause a bow/warp.

You could prove my theory right or wrong, by tearing down the loop, extracting the CPU waterblock and disassembling the block till you get to the acrylic top. If the cracks are there and it's not particulate clogging the restrictive end of the block, then yes that's stress fracture.

Solution

Henry97

Reputable
May 9, 2016

Thanks for the answer,

My watercooling loop consists in the following order:

ekwb d5 pump+reservoir combo
heatkiller IV gpu waterblock
ekwb 360mm radiator
ekwb suppremacy classic rgb amd cpu waterblock (picture)
magicool 240mm radiator
(back to pump)
(using mayhem soft tubing)

I live in portugal and in the past week I had temps in the ~30's ºC in the past week.

It does appear to be what you are describing. Furthermore, being this my first loop I probably applied too much force due to being afraid of possible leaks.

I will drain it in the next few days to verify if the cracks are still there. If this issue is confirmed what should be done? Block replacement?

Thanks

edit: loop image: View: https://imgur.com/a/s0nxeZA

Last edited: