News Lisa Su announces AMD is on the path to a 100x power efficiency improvement by 2027 — CEO outlines AMD’s advances during keynote at imec’s ITF Worl...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Obviously. And it was done on purpose. I just find it very interesting that whenever someone does that with AMD they get called out, but nobody gets called out when doing that with Intel.
I also called out when you were doing it with Intel, in case you didn't notice.

This is something that psychology has to study, it's really not normal my man.
I see what you did there. Not impressed.

Reactions: Ogotai

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Yes, but AMD is throwing down another stake (or, I guess reaffirming an earlier goal) and sharing a rough outline of their plans for achieving it. While you could get a "free ride" on efficiency, merely by enjoying the benefits provided by new process nodes and technologies like HBM or on-package LPDDR5X, AMD is stating that they've made efficiency a priority, quite possibly over and above performance!

If you read the article, you'll understand why. I think I heard a projection, made years ago, that if datacenter energy use continues to grow on its (then) current trajectory, that the oceans would boil by like 2100. I have no idea what that was based on or if I'm even remembering it correctly, but the slides make it clear that power is going to be a limiting factor in datacenter performance, before long. So, the focus needs to be on improving perf/W a lot more than raw performance.
I completely understand why. I am just saying that they are just hyping something every single chip company is always doing. It's like saying our next chips are going to be more powerful. yeah....we know. It's just hype and is a bit of a bs hype because it's makes it sound like they are not just doing it but doing it better than others....new article today says Nvidia's chips are more efficient for same workload.

That's why I didn't like it. They did it on earnings day for Nvidia, and pushed it out like they were doing something special when datacenter efficiency is always the main goal because of all the costs of inefficiency.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am just saying that they are just hyping something every single chip company is always doing. It's like saying our next chips are going to be more powerful. yeah....we know. It's just hype and is a bit of a bs hype because it's makes it sound like they are not just doing it but doing it better than others....
TBH, I found this article somewhat disappointing. It was basically a rehash of another talk from Feb 2023 that went into a lot more depth about topics like processing-in-memory and the role & necessity of optical communications in reducing energy usage.

Although Toms covered it (days later, I might add), only WCCFTech did it justice:

Credit where it's due.

That's why I didn't like it. They did it on earnings day for Nvidia, and pushed it out like they were doing something special when datacenter efficiency is always the main goal because of all the costs of inefficiency.
Who did? This article was about a talk given at IMEC’s ITF World 2024 conference. Not an earnings call.

The above link I gave was from AMD giving a talk about ISSCC 23, and the point of it wasn't just "hey, we're working on efficiency", but rather that you cannot reach Zettascale if you just ride the coat tails of the existing industry efficiency trends! Then, they lay out what approaches they're taking, in order to beat the the industry projections.

Last edited: