News Lisa Su: High-End Navi GPUs Are On Track

hannibal

Distinguished
Big Navi next year, if They Are on the track They layed out when They did release 5700 series. Two gpu version does not make Sense, because both manufactures Are going away from sli/crossfire. If the gpu would be chiplet like the Ryzen 3000 is, then ot would make Sense though... Most likely xx50 will be those first raytrasing models or mayve amd makes something crasy and go chiplet GPUs in the next year! That would be super crazy!
But I Expect xx00 being normal GPUs and xx50 to be raytrasing versions. But who knows... really waiting 2020 and see hat big Navi can do and what Intel will get to the market. Interesting gpu year coming!

Big Navi next year, if They Are on the track They layed out when They did release 5700 series. Two gpu version does not make Sense, because both manufactures Are going away from sli/crossfire. If the gpu would be chiplet like the Ryzen 3000 is, then ot would make Sense though... Most likely xx50 will be those first raytrasing models or mayve amd makes something crasy and go chiplet GPUs in the next year! That would be super crazy!
But I Expect xx00 being normal GPUs and xx50 to be raytrasing versions. But who knows... really waiting 2020 and see hat big Navi can do and what Intel will get to the market. Interesting gpu year coming!

WTH does everyone think these have to be crossfire?

Break the compute units into chiplets with it's own cache and the memory interface on it's own chiplet. This is NOT a crossfire setup. It's been a setup I have been proposing for 4+ years now.

hannibal

Distinguished
Chiplets can be ansver, but chiplet based GPUs just does not work in wondows. Amd has talked about chiplet GPUs in the past and They did found out that it just does not work yeat. There would be needed complete owerhaul in the operation system level to make it work. One day if MS do their home work it may be possible, that day just is not today.

Out of all the one card I am interested in is RX 5950 XT speculated to come with Dual-GPU config. If the Dual-GPU config of AMD coming in as PRO VEGA II DUO lives up to its claims of scaling perfectly and 0 latency bridging. I think RX 5950 XT will be even crazier as it will be affordable version with even better performance. If AMD prices it correctly NVIDIA TITAN RTX will get destroyed by its competitor.

Sep 2, 2019
I have the Vega 64 LC and wanted to skip Navi eintirely.
But Navi looks very promising.
I am interested in a high end AMD Graphics-Card and would buy a big Navi Card.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Lisa Su's answer was about as generic and information free as an answer can be.

I don't think any sane person is expecting whatever topend single GPU AMD releases to beat the 2080Ti (more than a year old already), nor will it suport hardware ray tracing. So the only intrigue with these cards is what is Nvidia going to release to keep AMD out of the topend. Nvidia didn't spend the last year since the RTX release developing the just released Super cards. Assuming Nvidia has been working on 7nm for awhile, one would think they will be ready by early next year to respond to whatever AMD releases. Going by AMD's recent history of just barely undercutting Nvidia's cost based on rasterized performance without ray tracing support, how well is that going to work next year when Nvidia 2nd gen RTX is released? One would expect a pretty significant boost in both rasterized and RTX performance from Nvidia's jump to 7nm.

Lisa Su's answer was about as generic and information free as an answer can be.

I don't think any sane person is expecting whatever topend single GPU AMD releases to beat the 2080Ti (more than a year old already), nor will it suport hardware ray tracing. So the only intrigue with these cards is what is Nvidia going to release to keep AMD out of the topend. Nvidia didn't spend the last year since the RTX release developing the just released Super cards. Assuming Nvidia has been working on 7nm for awhile, one would think they will be ready by early next year to respond to whatever AMD releases. Going by AMD's recent history of just barely undercutting Nvidia's cost based on rasterized performance without ray tracing support, how well is that going to work next year when Nvidia 2nd gen RTX is released? One would expect a pretty significant boost in both rasterized and RTX performance from Nvidia's jump to 7nm.
Considering Pro Vega II Duo being 2x+ performance of RTX 2080 on paper which puts it 50-60%+ on performance compared to RTX2080Ti. I expect AMD to release Navi version of it with less Memory and budget friendly GDDR6 over HBM2 cutting off the price. Still as I said even if it is priced comparatively higher than RTX2080Ti still there will be market that will definitely be interested in it.

Reactions: artk2219

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Considering Pro Vega II Duo being 2x+ performance of RTX 2080 on paper which puts it 50-60%+ on performance compared to RTX2080Ti. I expect AMD to release Navi version of it with less Memory and budget friendly GDDR6 over HBM2 cutting off the price. Still as I said even if it is priced comparatively higher than RTX2080Ti still there will be market that will definitely be interested in it.
And on paper is the only place that card will be twice as fast as a 2080 in gaming. I said single GPU. So why would you bring up a dual GPU card? There's a reason we haven't seen a dual GPU gaming card in over 5 years. They suck.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I read somewhere when the New Apple Mac Pro was announced. Nothing is tested yet as Apple is yet to launch its Mac Pro lineup. But if the claims are true then it would be great if goes against the TITAN of NVIDIA.
This may be possible for compute applications which is the only thing this card will be used for in a MacPro. Gaming is something completely different. AMD has not made any claims related to gaming.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/131354-amd-announces-radeon-pro-vega-ii-pro-vega-ii-duo-gpus/

These GPUs use an Infinity Fabric Link for fast data transfer (84GB/s) and low-latency peer-to-peer memory access - it is claimed to be up to 5X faster than PCIe Gen 3 interconnect speeds.

0 latency may be AMD's eventual goal, but they did not claim Vega II Duo was capable of it.

Reactions: bit_user

artk2219

Distinguished
$89 on ebay special. 8gb vram and a great sapphire nitro+ cooler.

I've built many a R9 390(X)\RX 480\580 based gaming desktop over the past year, and that performance still does not disappoint for 1080p high gaming levels. Heck, even the R9 290 from 2013 is still a viable option at that level. It's crazy how decent a deal every one of those cards has turned out to be.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX