List of Things I can Copy To My Clean Re-install of Win7 HDD With New Mobo and CPU?

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I'm getting a new mobo and CPU so I understand that I'm going to have to re-install windows 7..
But,I also want to keep my data such as saved sony vegas projects, photoshop projects, game saves etc..

I was told by another user that all I have to do is Copy all of the contents in my "Username" folder (Shark Dentist/ ..) and I should have everything such as desktop data etc without copying any program files (trying not to copy any program files as I'm going to be uninstalling all programs)

But here's my questions..
Where are the steam saved games? (especially Skyrim, Civ 5, etc)
and.. is that all I need to worry about copying over? Is there any valuable files that tend to be outside of "username" Shark Dentist/..
and.. If I copy over all files in the "username" folder (desktop, videos etc..) will there be any program files I'll have to pick out or is that folder strictly user data that I can copy straight over to a new HDD and then copy back after a clean uninstall?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution

On Valve's servers. Steam Cloud is awesome. I think both of those games support cloud saving. Not all do so you'd need to check for each game individually.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

On Valve's servers. Steam Cloud is awesome. I think both of those games support cloud saving. Not all do so you'd need to check for each game individually.

Solution

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Oh awesome,that makes things handy lol :)
And what would I do with saves that contain mods etc? Like for example.. mods in the skyrim/data folder?

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Depends, if you installed the mods via Steam Workshop then they'll reinstall themselves automatically. If you manually installed the mods (eg via Skyrim Nexus) you'd need to manually move them,.

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014