List of Vista Supported Hardware & Software

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
That's odd. I'm using Alcohol120 on two different installs and no problems. Are you running the trial or the registered vesion ?

Build 1.9.6 B4719 I believe is the official version for Vista, anything else I believe causes the BSOD you got

trunterzx

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
It should be a registered version. How do you check the version you are using?

Now I don't dare to install it anymore, in case it crashes again...

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Just go to the site and download the latest version. There is quite a few people using Vista, who are using it. but they all say, that if you install versions 1.9.5 or lower, you'll get the BSOD

saw4846

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
My Canon i850 printer works perfectly with the updated drivers from canon, they even have updated the Easy Photo Print utility to work with Vista 32 home premium also. Just download it from their site.

City of Heroes and City of Villians both work without a hitch in Vista 32.

Money 98 works in Vista 32 as well (click on the shortcut go to properties and set compatibility mode to windows 98.

Adobe Reader 8 works in Vista 32 if you have either UAC on or install it under XP service pack 2 compatibilty mode.

I ignored compatibility mode on every other version of windows but in Vista it seems to be the trick for getting some programs to work.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
This is my list for Vista 64, all of my hardware works!!! This is only a list of the hardware and software that I did not see on the various listed sites and in your list.

Again, the is all 64-bit (some are list as 32-bit ok and some are not listed at all).

d975xbx2 (badaxe2; x6800 exp index 5.6; 4G pc26400 exp index 5.6)
ati radeon x1950xtx (exp index of 5.8 & 5.9!)
intel ICH7r (including matrix - exp index of 5.9!)
Creative Live!Cam Voice (using camera drivers from 32bit XP but mic works with built-in usb)
HP wireless keyboard & mouse
HP DVD 840i w/lightscribe (must download lightscribe support from lightscribe.org)
Seagate 750G external USB
A-data 8G PD7 (easily fast enough for readyboost and good price!)
HP Photosmart 130 (using 330 driver)
HP Photosmart 970 cse
HP 3800n (a super color laserjet)
Norton 360
NOTE: Norton has a problem with all of their license configurators - DEP must be disabled
Roxio Easy Creator 9
Adobe Acrobat 8 - 64bit (there are some minor issues listed on Adobe but I have not seen them)
Adobe Reader 8
Skype 3.01 (the current one from early March)
HD Tach 3.0.1.0 (I'm glad to say they show a significant improvement with my 4-drive Raid0 setup)
Canon Browser EX (current update from canonusa.org - software for my Canon A80 camera)

NOT Sandisk Extreme III (not fast enough for readyboost)

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Ninja, or someone... I didn't see anything on the HT Omega Claro Soundcard. I contacted HT Omega support and they claim it is supported. They do offer drivers for 32 & 64bit, but I have yet to test them since I have yet to install Vista.

Is there any official word on this other than from HT?

delion

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
hi DaSickNinja or someone experienced with Vista, do you know if this webcam is supported by windows Vista?
KINAMAX 1.3 Megapixel USB 2.0 Webcam with Night-Vision & Audio.
I'm considering buying it to go with a dell inspiron 6400 with windows vista home basic. If not, are there any other webcams supported by vista that comes with drivers?
thanks.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Am I interpreting the lists correctly when I say that most of the games you listed will run in Vista 32 bit but not in Vista 64 bit (looks like maybe 20% of games or less work in Vista 64 bit)???

@exit2dos, markop20033 & PCAnalyst
Thanks for that. I updated the listing. Check back to see the changes.

@Hathorian
You'd be correct in that assumption. At the time of testing a lot of those games would not function in 64 bit mode. You'd really have to check the developers site to make sure that the game is compatible with your version of Vista.

yarvelling

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Very useful thread, Ninja.

Thought I'd add a couple myself:

(64 bit version, this)

Can't see any mention of Paintshop Pro 8. It won't install.

Hitman : Blood Money version 1.0 works fine but if you patch it to 1.2 it won't load.

Tomb Raider : Legend works (but only with the latest nVidia drivers)

Hardware-wise, you could add Geforce 7900GTX, if you can be bothered (as 7900GT is listed) and ABIT KN8 Ultra (m'board). Both working a treat.

For what it's worth, Adaptec 2903 SCSI controllers are NOT supported as there are no drivers. Nor do I think there ever will be!

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Hello all :)
To reply to Discordia666, PaintShopPro 8 works fine for me on Vista Premium 64bit; no installation difficulties at all. I can't however, get Tomb Raider Legend to work so far, though I have upgraded recently to a Geforce 8800GTS and 158.18 drivers.....hopefully this'll get it going!
Cheers!

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
to the point it make more sence to list that does Not work on Vista
as vista support list is alot bigger then what can be reported in one post

{fidding or blantly do not work for Vista list} << topic
programs that require an bit of fidding or blently do not work list for Vista

see the point in listing what does work but realy Most stuff will any way but makeing an list of what ddoes not work or has problems getting going i think is more important

riser

Illustrious
Since the sticky was created its been changing more in the favor of your view. Originally we were reporting problems that were coming up with software that people thought worked, or things they could confirm working.

Moment

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
The brevity of the games list sure makes my OS choice obvious. I've been missing out on games for a few years and want to play some going back all the way to about 2003 releases. Hopefully I can skip vista entirely and get the next OS in about 2009/2010.

xdblade

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
I would like to know if I would be able to run the following programs on vista before I buy it.

Scream Machines
http://www.wounded-heart.com/default.asp

Half Life

Doom

C&C

Age of Castles and Moon Tycoon
http://www.anarchyent.com/index.asp

Diablo and Diablo Hell Fire

Nox

Winamp
http://www.winamp.com

Flash games

Ultima Online Kingdom Reborn

AlienGUIse theme manager
http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/invader.aspx

Civilization

This is all I can think of for now that I would like to run in the future.

diding

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Hi Bro... I have Asus EAX1600XT on my ASUS P5BE-Plus and O/S Win Vista Ultimate 64Bit.. I think it's not fungtion maximal as EAX1600XT due to I'm using Catalyst driver for Ati 1600 series.. any sugestions for maximized my EAX1600XT in Vista 64Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.