Lithography and other stuff

aradf

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
hi im very new to this cpu exchane stuff.i wanted to ask if the Lithography must be same on an exchange. nad what else should i check before buying another ? (except for the socket.)i have p5q4 motherboard and a intel core 2 q8200 @2.33 GHz and 2 2 gb rams 525 MHz.
And oh can you tell me the best cpu i can replace without replacing the whole motherboard?

Solution
It's not the lithography, it's the physical socket and the BIOS. (There have been rare cases where the same physical socket supports a new generation of CPUs but old mobos never get a BIOS update to handle them.) If that's the Asus P5G line, it's socket 775 .

The mobo specs state
"Intel Socket 775 Processors for Intel® Core™2 Extreme/Core™2 Quad/ Core™2 Duo/Pentium® dual-core/Celeron® dual-core /Celeron® Processors
Compatible with Intel® 05B/05A/06 processors
Supports Intel® 45nm multi-core CPU "

I'm looking for a compatibility list. Found it here; looks like you top out at a Core 2 Quad Q9650(rev.E0,3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:12MB) - of you can find something that old on Ebay.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_Premium/HelpDesk_CPU/...
It's not the lithography, it's the physical socket and the BIOS. (There have been rare cases where the same physical socket supports a new generation of CPUs but old mobos never get a BIOS update to handle them.) If that's the Asus P5G line, it's socket 775 .

The mobo specs state
"Intel Socket 775 Processors for Intel® Core™2 Extreme/Core™2 Quad/ Core™2 Duo/Pentium® dual-core/Celeron® dual-core /Celeron® Processors
Compatible with Intel® 05B/05A/06 processors
Supports Intel® 45nm multi-core CPU "

I'm looking for a compatibility list. Found it here; looks like you top out at a Core 2 Quad Q9650(rev.E0,3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:12MB) - of you can find something that old on Ebay.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_Premium/HelpDesk_CPU/
The P4's may have higher clocks but I think that they are single-core.

Solution