Little burry white mark appeared on my screen

george2240

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
Near to the middle of my monitor there is a little white make which appears to have lots of little black spots inside. This mark suddenly appeared after I knocked my screen and is very visible when I'm trying to play games and other such things on my computer. The mark is mostly visible when the screen gets darker, when it is displaying lighter colours the mark is barely visible at all.

When the spot first appeared it looked like a smudge on the screen but at a closer look it looks like damage to the screen itself but I cant figure out what the problem is even after looking for hours online. The mark isn't completely white though and whats going on behind the mark is still visible, it just makes it look blurry and lighter than it actually is, with lots of black dots as I said.
https://imgur.com/QTDciEu

Solution
It looks like your screen's polarization filter is no longer in the correct position.

Do you remember those 3D mouse mats that used to be popular? When you look at them from one angle, it's one picture. When you look at it from another angle, it's a different picture.

A polarization filter in your screen does something very similar. Its job is to make sure that you're only seeing the picture that the screen is trying to display, rather than the entire output of the backlight.

What seems to have happened is that the backlight is shining through your filter.

While you could take it apart, it probably wouldn't be worth it. I doubt it's a wrinkled filter, looks to be either smashed or torn. That won't be fixed without getting a new...

Your image is not showing. Sometimes the forums glitch when you put a URL right next to the quotemsg tag.

I went ahead and put it here for others browsing this thread.

QTDciEu.png

It looks like your screen's polarization filter is no longer in the correct position.

Do you remember those 3D mouse mats that used to be popular? When you look at them from one angle, it's one picture. When you look at it from another angle, it's a different picture.

A polarization filter in your screen does something very similar. Its job is to make sure that you're only seeing the picture that the screen is trying to display, rather than the entire output of the backlight.

What seems to have happened is that the backlight is shining through your filter.

While you could take it apart, it probably wouldn't be worth it. I doubt it's a wrinkled filter, looks to be either smashed or torn. That won't be fixed without getting a new filter, and good luck even figuring out what filter is already in there, let alone finding another one online.

I recommend just dealing with it until you need a new monitor. Fortunately, this sort of damage should not shorten your monitor's expected lifespan.

Solution

george2240

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

Thanks

DT523

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

This is what I was getting at by asking LCD or LED. Basically, what he said.

george2240

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

Its LED and xD no I tripped getting off my chair and my elbow went into the screen I felt like an idiot :pt1cable:

george2240

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

Ah fair enough I'll just have to cope :p