Question Little question about switching pcie generations in bios.

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Heya!

I write this thread in succesion of my "question about 2 sound blaster solutions" thread.

There i wrote in the ps, that i might gonna try switching pcie generations in the bios.
This i did now, but i find things a bit strange.

Ive read on Reddit and elsewhere that you can only swap the generations of all of them in one go.
But on the 3607 bios of the asus rog strix b550 wifi-ii it seems that at the advanced > onboard devices page, i can set everything of them seperately. And thats where my concern lies.

When i change all 3 of the pcie x1 lanes from auto, to gen 1, will they really only operate on gen 1 mode, and are not maybe still be in either gen 2 or gen 3?
And when i set the pcie x16 main lane to be in gen 4 mode (where my gpu is), will this not effect the other pcie lanes?

I mean, from what ive read online, when you wanna lower the pcie generations, then every pcie lane is affected, and my bios page claims you can set them individually. So whats the thing here?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from M

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Unless there's a corruption in the BIOS, no the lanes should be set as you've set them in BIOS.

As for the slots;
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B550-F_GAMING_WIFI_II/E18592_ROG_STRIX_B550-F_GAMING_WI-FI_II_UM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II
page xi, shows where your lanes/slots are shared. So long as you don't have anything on PCIex16_2 the rest of your PCIe x1 slots will be operational(that's the slots that's shared, irrespective of what's in the first PCIe x16 slot.