[SOLVED] Live Streaming - Different Ways?

Dec 8, 2021
I’m trying to understand live game streaming abit more. I know there are different ways people do it. Questions below.

1) If you wanted to game and live stream on just one PC can this be done? All you need is software correct?

2) Another way is you can have a dedicated streaming pc. This dedicated streaming pc does not require a good graphics card. But you will need a capture card to capture the game play from your gaming pc. Is this correct?

3) Can the dedicated streaming pc also record a hard copy of the live stream?

4) Is it possible to get the saved copy of the live stream from the streaming computer and edit it on your gaming pc then upload an edited version to youtube?

Solution
If you are a causal streamer, you can do with just one decent PC, I'll stream every now and then, and since I really don't care to do it, I use the AMD software, its quick and easy setup rather then trying to fine tune OBS and all the fun stuff.

If you plan to stream a lot, I'd definitely read on how to optimize OBS to stream smoothly. The most common issues with streaming a game with OBS is people do not leave a little bit of GPU recourses for OBS to encode which results in a stutter or choppy mess, even with dedicated encoders like Nvidia NVENC or whatever AMD is, you still need to leave at least 10% of unused GPU recourses for just OBS to be smooth, can cap FPS is demanding games to help with that, or set up a dedicated PC for...
1) yes, but you better have one very good PC, you need enough power to run the game and encode the video at the same time, even with the highest end system some loss of FPS is unavoidable.
A lot of people use the GPU to do encoding which is much easier on hardware, any modern intel igpu can handle it as well as any better nvidia card.

2) 3) 4) Yes.
The recorded file is just a normal file like any other, you would have to have both PCs on the same network (connected to the same router) and you can send the file through ethernet.

Dec 8, 2021
1) yes, but you better have one very good PC, you need enough power to run the game and encode the video at the same time, even with the highest end system some loss of FPS is unavoidable.
A lot of people use the GPU to do encoding which is much easier on hardware, any modern intel igpu can handle it as well as any better nvidia card.

If I wanted to game and stream just from the same computer do you reckon this specs will be able to do it without any issues, not lose any quality and fps?

• i9 12900k
  • RTX 3070 ti
  • 1000w power supply
  • 32gb of ram

If I wanted to game and stream just from the same computer do you reckon this specs will be able to do it without any issues, not lose any quality and fps?

• i9 12900k
  • RTX 3070 ti
  • 1000w power supply
  • 32gb of ram
Yes, very easily.
The biggest reason people use a second system is because games often crash and in that case streaming from a second system will keep the stream alive with your webcam and or sound and only the game screen gone until you fix the issue.

If you are a causal streamer, you can do with just one decent PC, I'll stream every now and then, and since I really don't care to do it, I use the AMD software, its quick and easy setup rather then trying to fine tune OBS and all the fun stuff.

If you plan to stream a lot, I'd definitely read on how to optimize OBS to stream smoothly. The most common issues with streaming a game with OBS is people do not leave a little bit of GPU recourses for OBS to encode which results in a stutter or choppy mess, even with dedicated encoders like Nvidia NVENC or whatever AMD is, you still need to leave at least 10% of unused GPU recourses for just OBS to be smooth, can cap FPS is demanding games to help with that, or set up a dedicated PC for streaming, or use Nvidia or AMD software which is pretty limited but wont have this issue. Thats just one of the common issues that people and even a lot of guides I fine skip over or don't even mention it at all.

Solution